Details: $20/hour to start, 10-15 hours/week to start, in the office 3+ days/week.
1360 Mission St.
Senior and Disability Action (SDA) is a citywide nonprofit organization. We mobilize and educate seniors and people with disabilities to fight for individual rights and social justice. Through individual support and collective action, we work together to create a city and world in which seniors and people with disabilities can live well and safely. SDA has six programs, which include education and empowerment classes, computer training, and community organizing and advocacy in health care, home care, housing, and transit justice.
SDA’s Administrative Assistant will support the organization through a variety of clerical, administrative, and fundraising tasks. The ideal candidate will be flexible, organized, confident about jumping into new projects, persistent and resourceful in completing projects, good at keeping track of projects and deadlines, and comfortable with changing tasks. SDA has a small group of staff who work closely together. While the Administrative Assistant will have a specific set of responsibilities, the person will also build and grow SDA as a whole, support one’s co-workers, and take on a variety of tasks as needed.
Communicate with vendors, research insurance policies, etc.
Fill out check requests, prepare deposits
Help to manage databases: enter and organize information
Conduct research as needed on new vendors or systems
Keep track of payroll deadlines
Submit employee retirement payments
File and organize physical and electronic files
Assist with plans and preparations for Annual Celebration and smaller fundraisers: compose solicitation letters, make follow-up calls, etc.
Help with thank you notes to donors
Research/follow up on foundation grants
Communications assistance: website updates, electronic newsletters
Support SDA programs and organizational projects as needed
Help keep the office organized
Occasionally answer phones and greet people
Other tasks as needed
Requirements for this position:
· 1-2 years experience in administrative or office work, or similar skills.
· Commitment to social justice and SDA’s mission.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Good interpersonal skills.
· Basic computer skills: Microsoft Word and Excel, internet research, and ideally Salesforce.
· Comfort in taking on new and changing tasks.
· Good writing and proofreading skills. Commitment to being scent-free and supporting an accessible environment.
Not required but advantageous:
· Experience with the disability or senior communities.
· Experience with Latino, Chinese, Russian, or African-American communities.
· Interest in a long-term position with the organization.
Seniors, people with disabilities, people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. SDA is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required