Community Engagement Coordinator
Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Greater Washington, DC (RMHCDC) has been serving families in the Greater Washington, D.C. area for over 35 years. Our mission is to ease the hardship of children’s illness on families. We do this through three core programs (RM Houses, RM Family Rooms, RM Care Mobiles) that focus on the critical needs of children, celebrating the diversity of the donors who make them possible, staying true to our heritage of responsible stewardship, and operating with accountability and transparency.
The Community Engagement Coordinator performs diverse responsibilities in support of RMHCDC’s community outreach efforts. The Coordinator reports to the Director of Marketing and Community Engagement and works closely with the Development and Marketing Department to promote the Charity’s own events and those for which we are the beneficiary. The position assists with fundraising activities surrounding Charity events, third party events, and promoting corporate and community relationships. This person also assists with donor relations, speaking engagements, and workplace giving opportunities.
Success in this position will require fitting into the culture of Ronald McDonald House. This will require a passion for the mission of the organization and for the families it serves. It will require the ability to work with a variety of volunteers, including board members, who support and help the organization. It will also require sensitivity to the needs and passions of a diverse staff.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the advanced planning and coordination of event logistics from start to finish on fundraising special events and third-party fundraising appearances;
- Create and manage event project plan/timeline and drive the planning process;
- Manage and ensure all event data is accurate, to include names of attendees, volunteers and donors;
- Assist the development and marketing team to ensure corporate partner benefits are met;
- Represent the charity at special events and third-party fundraising appearances;
- Speak on behalf of the charity at corporate and workplace giving opportunities;
- Act as Staff Liaison to the Red Shoe Society including maintaining their roster, holding elections, assisting with their meetings, and coordinating their events;
- Develop primary relationships with event committees and partners;
- Coordinate attendance/appearance of staff or volunteers at events; Work to identify and implement new and creative methods for increasing peer-to-peer fundraising and community involvement;
- Work in conjunction with the marketing team to maintain event contacts, reconcile event income and expenses, and provide financial detail;
- Assist with marketing, including collateral materials related to donor development, recruitment, and retention (website, Facebook, email, print media, etc.);
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be detailed, organized, and self-motivated.
- Polished communication skills with ability to interact well with the public, board members and staff.
- Maintain positive relationships with board members, donors and other stakeholders.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and remain calm in hectic situations.
- Ability to manage confidential information with discretion and tact required.
- Results oriented with an emphasis on maximizing the bottom line of fundraising efforts.
- Displays high integrity and honesty.
- Articulates the case for support for RMHCDC with knowledge, passion and conviction.
- Approaches new ideas and challenges with an open mind and the ability to see things from other’s perspectives.
- Interacts with diverse groups of people with clear and concise presentation of Charity goals.
- Perseveres through challenges with a positive outlook and adaptability.
- Intern(s) on occasion
- Event volunteers
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 2-4 years of experience coordinating community events and appearances
- Valid driver's license required; Willingness and ability to travel (locally) to event locations for Charity business required
- Computer literacy with Microsoft products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with fundraising, contact management or other database software preferred
- Willingness and ability to work some evenings and weekends
Full-time employees are offered a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Employer paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance for the employee
- Optional short and long term disability insurance
- Flexible spending account for medical and dependent care
- Generous paid leave that includes vacation, personal, sick and holiday
- Professional development opportunities
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resumé to HR@rmhcdc.org. Resumés without a cover letter will not be considered.
RMHCDC is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals are treated equally without regard to age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity or veteran status.