Details: Salary range is commensurate with experience.
79 Madison Avenue
As an organization, Citizen Schools aims to make the case that fundamentally reimagining the learning day is the way to restore public education as an engine of opportunity. In support of this mission, our External Engagement Department is responsible for educating and mobilizing key influencers in the corporate, civic, philanthropic and government sectors as champions for Expanded Learning Time, building a movement to improve educational opportunities for students from underserved communities.
The Development Coordinator will manage a portfolio of foundation and public partnerships and support overall fundraising efforts in the New York region by ensuring donors feel valued and connected to Citizen Schools mission. This is an excellent opportunity for a detail-oriented, highly-organized and entrepreneurial fundraiser to take ownership of a strong portfolio of partnerships, while also supporting the Director of External Engagement in identifying and cultivating new relationships. Additionally, the Development Coordinator will have the chance to gain new competencies within the full breadth of fundraising operations including event planning, donor stewardship, and communications at a national, education-focused nonprofit. The Development Coordinator will be based at our New York regional office in Flatiron, Manhattan and will report to the Director of External Engagement (DEE).
Grants Management (50%):
- Lead the grant writing and reporting process for public and foundation partners through content development and editing under the supervision of the Director of External Engagement
- Conduct targeted research to identify new funding prospects
- Develop strategies and relationship-building activities required to engage potential investors
- Support stewardship of partners by preparing research and materials for meetings, arranging site visits, and overseeing day-to-day communications
- Track contract and grant compliance requirements for local- and state-level public funding sources, including billing, reporting, and collections processes
Development Communications and Operations (25%):
- Maintain accurate donor records and capture donor communication, outreach deadlines, and other relevant information in Salesforce
- In collaboration with regional and national team members, help refine and execute internal systems to improve the donor experience, including donor recognition and other systems of appreciation
- Oversee gift collection activities, including processing donations, tracking commitments, sending pledge reminders and gift transaction follow ups
- Partner closely with the Director of External Engagement and Executive Director to identify and cultivate high leverage potential partners
Events and Special Projects (25%):
- Assist the Director of External Engagement with logistical execution and sponsorship strategy for several small fundraising events occurring throughout the year
- Oversee Salesforce database for tracking all event information, such as invitees, guests, donations, etc.
- Manage and execute a portfolio of one-time corporate volunteer events
- Other special projects, some of which may be determined based on the Development Coordinator’s areas of interest
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Strong alignment to the Citizen Schools mission and desire to serve the needs of students in high-needs communities
- 1-3 years of professional experience, non-profit fundraising experience is a plus
- Excellent written communication skills with a sophisticated understanding of how to convey complex topics to a variety of audiences
- Exceptionally strong project management skills; proven ability to develop and execute complex action plans and fierce detail-orientation
- Desire to take initiative and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Strong team orientation and ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Ability to model Citizen Schools’ core values: Pride, Joy, Respect, Courage, Teamwork, Perseverance, and Vision
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required; relevant advanced degree preferred
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary range is commensurate with experience. Full benefits include health care, 403B, three weeks vacation, and extensive training and professional development opportunities.
ABOUT CITIZEN SCHOOLS:
All children deserve the opportunity to discover and achieve their dreams. Citizen Schools makes this possible for thousands of high-need middle school students nationwide through partnerships with public districts in 30 schools in 6 states that extend the school day and introduce volunteer and paid adults to increase hands-on learning opportunities. Extended Learning Time or ELT is an evidence-based model, that consistently accelerates the rate of student learning, reduces absenteeism, leads to more students reaching grade-level proficiency, and prepares students for college and beyond. You can review our results at http://bit.ly/CSresults13 or see the our impact first hand through the story of one of our students.
We are on a mission to reimagine the learning day, and with partners like Cisco, Fidelity, Biogen and AmeriCorps, we are getting closer to closing the opportunity and achievement gaps every day.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Citizen Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status. Citizen Schools is compliant with the American with Disabilities Act and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a member of our team. If specific accommodations are needed, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work to accommodate your needs.
Full benefits include health care, 403B, three weeks vacation, and extensive training and professional development opportunities.
Minimum Education Required