135 North Mission Road
Associate Director Description
Los Angeles, CA
Proyecto Pastoral was founded in 1986 by community residents and the California Province of Jesuits. Our mission is to empower the community of Boyle Heights through grassroots projects in education, leadership, and service. Proyecto has grown into a highly effective community-based organization that focuses on building reciprocal relationships with residents so they are empowered to create change in their own lives and in the life of the community.
Our community building programs include the Guadalupe Homeless Project, an emergency shelter for men and a separate shelter for senior aged women; IMPACTO, a youth development program for K-12 youth; Early Childhood Education Centers, focused on preparing children 18 months to 5 years old for kindergarten, and Comunidad en Movimiento, a civic engagement and leadership development program. Proyecto Pastoral also serves as the backbone organization for Promesa Boyle Heights, a cradle to career collaborative that is changing outcomes for neighborhood youth. Proyecto Pastoral serves over 6,000 children, youth, families and individuals annually.
Position Summary: To assist Proyecto in its mission, Proyecto seeks an Associate Director with team leadership acumen and nonprofit leadership fortitude. The Associate Director works in close coordination with the Executive Director to support the advancement of Proyecto's vision by building collaborative and positive working relationships and effective communication channels with team members, community members, and partners while effectively managing direct reports and providing mentorship in professional development. She/he will report to the Executive Director. Proyecto Pastoral is beginning a strategic planning process and anticipates up to 30% growth over the next 5 years.
Program Development and Collaboration
- Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Associate Director shall be responsible for working with and supporting program directors in the planning, development, evaluation and management of programs and initiatives.
- Leads and supervises program directors on day-to-day responsibilities and through the development and implementation of short- and long-term strategies that strengthen the reach, impact, and effectiveness of Proyecto Pastoral programs.
- Foster a culture that promotes teamwork and professional growth while establishing clear performance standards.
- Lead the implementation of structures for communication, coordination, collaboration, and learning discussions across director team and programs.
- Work with program directors and development director to identify and respond to funding prospects and effectively communicate impact, outcomes, strategies, and resources needed.
Strategic Planning, Organizational Development and Continuous Improvement
- Work closely with the director team and executive team to identify, develop, and implement operational process improvements to ensure high organizational efficiency and effective service delivery as Proyecto continues to grow.
- Work in close collaboration with the Executive Director, executive and director team to oversee and implement strategic planning including annual operational plans and reports, as well as annual revision and approval in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
- Develop and maintain a system to collect qualitative and quantitative data from program services; oversee data analysis, reporting, and strategies to communicate Proyecto’s impact.
- In partnership with the Executive Director and the director team, identify organizational needs and gaps while building off of strengths and assets. Develop a staff development program to support growth and fill the needed gaps.
General Executive Team Responsibilities
- Act as a key thought partner to the Executive Director, brainstorming and identifying solutions to challenges.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, support the work of the Board through staffing of relevant committees and provide regular, timely, and accurate information and reports.
- Monitor the health of the organization and make specific recommendations to nurture a healthy organization culture.
- Implement all activities with a focus on relationship building and strengthening connections among participants, staff, partners, and community members.
- Serve as a liaison with key external stakeholders, developing effective relationships and partnerships.
- Will take the lead on day-to-day operations when the Executive Director is not available.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for Proyecto Pastoral and a strong commitment to its mission, including its community-building vision and founding Jesuit values.
- Be an active team member supporting other staff members.
- Participate in Proyecto Pastoral events and activities.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES/EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Seven years of progressive leadership experience in non-profit management; experience working with collective impact models, community building, and social justice organizations.
- Master’s degree preferred in relevant area such as Public Policy, Social Work, etc.
- Proven ability to research, analyze, and communicate progress on a variety of issues related to education, homelessness, children and youth, and organizing.
- Enthusiastic team builder with strong leadership skills including: relationship building, planning, communication, and coaching diverse staff.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluating program performance in social impact.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and time management skills with high attention to priority and detail.
- Excellent written, oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong strategic, conceptual, and critical-thinking abilities.
- Ability to develop effective relationships with internal and external colleagues and partners.
- Personal presence to represent Proyecto in diverse forums and organizational relationships.
- Must work well independently and within a team and demonstrate a high degree of initiative, flexibility, collaboration, and cultural sensitivity.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and database experience.
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred
- Licensed driver with reliable transportation and ability to meet organization’s minimum auto insurance requirements.
Salary: $65,000.00 to $85,000.00 /year
Status: Full-time, Exempt with excellent benefits package, which includes health, dental, vision, vacation, sick days, holidays, and 401k plan.
Full-time, Exempt with excellent benefits package, which includes health, dental, vision, vacation, sick days, holidays, and 401k plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Proyecto Pastoral is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Consultants should not apply. We are interested in hiring a full-time staff member to join our team.