Since 1995, Futures and Options has empowered New York City's underserved youth to explore careers through career development and paid, mentored internships. We reach out to teens at a formative time of their lives, guiding them to further their education and become contributing citizens. Our model program enables New York's underserved youth to gain much-needed access to the economic mainstream, work-readiness training and support from caring adults. At the same time, businesses are connected to a pipeline of promising, motivated and diverse young interns. Our flagship programs include:
The Internship Program
The Internship Program provides paid, mentored internships and career development workshops to high school juniors and seniors. Students acquire hands-on professional experience, gaining entry to small businesses, nonprofits, government agencies and multinational corporations.
This career readiness program provides basic preparation for the work world as well as the opportunity for students to practice and improve their interpersonal and communication skills and learn workplace etiquette. The program also includes career exploration activities and field trips.
Ancillary programs include:
College Guidance Initiative
The College Guidance Initiative provides workshops that increase interns' awareness of the opportunities available for post-secondary education and assist them in successfully applying to college. Students also receive one-on-one counseling.
College Success helps to ensure that our students are equipped with the tools, resources and networks to successfully complete their first year in college and be prepared to enter their sophomore year with an educational plan that aligns with their career aspirations. The College Success program participants attend events on career exploration, workforce readiness and networking, receive individualized advice on course selection and academic progress, and establish relationships with an upperclassman or recent college graduate/young professional mentor.
Futures and Options is seeking two enthusiastic and energetic program coordinators as part of our expanding program team. Program coordinators work closely with our team to open the doors for underserved middle school and high school youth to achieve meaningful professional careers and provide the business community with a trained, educated and diverse young workforce. The program coordinators will bring an understanding of the principles and practice of positive youth development. Specifically, the program coordinators will develop strong relationships with our youth and partners in the New York City business, education and nonprofit communities, and implement our career development and college guidance programs.
Responsibilities will include implementing Futures and Options' career development and college guidance programs, working closely with students, school and business partners, alumni and volunteers to ensure success in achieving program goals and grant objectives; and various administrative responsibilities, which include database management, outcome measurements and tracking, and reporting. The Program Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Cultivating and maintaining a network of partner schools and community-based organizations.
- Recruiting middle and high school students for the various Futures and Options career development programs, which serve students of different skill levels and career interests.
- Reviewing student applications and conducting group and individual interviews to select candidates for the career development programs.
- Matching students to jobs that align with their abilities and career interests; preparing students for their on-site interviews through resume feedback and interview coaching; working with supervisors to arrange interns' work schedules; and monitoring interns' progress through communication with on-site supervisors and interns.
- Planning, preparing and facilitating career development and work-readiness workshops for Futures and Options' programs.
- Building and maintaining relationships with each program participant.
- Designing and implementing appropriate career development and exploration activities, e.g., field trips to businesses, mentoring programs and other enrichment activities.
- Completing pre- and post-experience testing, evaluations and reports in timely fashion.
- Maintaining standards of excellence for all programs, ensuring high-quality implementation.
- Ongoing program development and innovation using a comprehensive approach that integrates the fields of youth development, education, career readiness and exploration and college guidance.
- Assisting with the development of sustainable strategic partnerships with schools, businesses, and nonprofit partners.
- Collaborating with development team to share the Futures and Options story through social media, video, and other marketing platforms.
- Ensuring programs operate in compliance with funding sources so that intended results are achieved.
- Meeting the quantitative program growth goals.
- Monitoring trends, best practices, government actions and legislation pertaining to youth workforce development, career readiness, college attainment and college graduation.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- A strong commitment to the mission of Futures and Options.
- A high degree of personal and professional integrity: a strong role model for youth.
- Experience developing relationships with youth of different backgrounds and abilities.
- Strong facilitation skills, an understanding of group dynamics and an engaging, effective style. Prior experience leading workshops with high school students is preferred.
- An understanding of corporate and nonprofit business culture.
- A resourceful style with the ability to work independently, take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team.
- Comfort in a fast‐paced, changing, entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- An ability to network and build alliances.
- Computer proficiency and knowledge of MS Office, including advanced Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint skills.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Program Coordinator” as the subject line.
No phone calls. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Futures and Options is an Equal Opportunity Employer.