Details: Salary is commensurate with experience based on a competitive public interest salary schedule. Excellent benefits.
1111 9th Street, Suite 230
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for securing foundation grant funding, individual donations, and corporate giving. The Director of Development will work closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors of the Iowa Legal Aid Foundation to set the vision and priorities of Iowa Legal Aid’s fundraising efforts statewide.
Priority roles for Iowa Legal Aid’s Director of Development include:
· Be the public face for Iowa Legal Aid fundraising;
· Cultivate effective relationships with members of the Board and ILA staff;
· Coordinate and support the fundraising efforts of Board Members, Regional Advisory Council Members within the state, and staff with corporate and individual donors;
· Develop annual fundraising plan and engage board and staff to expand philanthropic gifts to the Foundation through identifying, cultivating, educating, soliciting and stewarding prospects for annual operating purposes, outright, planned and estate gifts in support of the fundraising campaign. Implement the plan in order to achieve established goals which includes face-to-face visits and successful solicitations of individuals, corporations, and foundations;
· Write effective letters, proposals and requests for money that will secure charitable funding;
· Work as a leader closely with Iowa Legal Aidstaff and volunteer leaders to ensure that assignments and activities are communicated, and contact strategies are developed in a coordinated and timely fashion in order to achieve monetary goals;
· Provide leadership and direction in the development and implementation of branding and marketing strategies;
· Develop topics, material and lead training efforts and motivational meetings as it pertains to the growth of skills in fundraising for the Board and staff;
· Maintain a high level of knowledge through tax professionals regarding tax effects of charitable contributions, gift and estate giving methods and the legal aspects of charitable giving;
· Ensure appropriate and timely gift recording and acknowledgement procedures and policies are in place for charitable gifts that are made;
· Oversee major donor research including building and maintaining relationships and prospect/donor moves through lead staff and board;
· Effectively provide management for and development of the Administrative Assistant for Philanthropic Giving; and
· Perform other duties as assigned/needed.
· A passion for the mission of Iowa Legal Aid and a demonstrated commitment to serving low-income individuals and communities;
· Bachelor’s degree preferred;
· Must have a minimum of 5 years professional experience in fundraising;
· Self starter with demonstrated initiative;
· Demonstrated success in soliciting and acquiring major gifts;
· A record and ability to meet and exceed annual monetary goals;
· Experience with strategic planning that leads to achieving goals and objectives;
· Demonstrated success in motivating volunteer and staff leaders with various competing interests;
· Excellent Interpersonal skills along with effective written and oral communication skills;
· Excellent organizational skills with keen attention to detail and deadlines;
· Capable of professionally represent Iowa Legal Aidby demonstrating pride and loyalty; and
· The ability to work evenings, weekends, and travel as needed.
· Background in coordinating volunteers in a fundraising program and familiarity with Iowa Legal Aid and the community.
Iowa Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and persons seeking employment will be considered without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation, religion, pregnancy, genetic information, military service, engagement in legally protected activity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Iowa Legal Aid:
The mission of Iowa Legal Aid is to make hope, dignity and justice available to low-income Iowans through legal assistance and education that protects fundamental rights, basic necessities and access to the judicial system; challenge policies and practices that harm low-income persons; and empower clients to advocate effectively for themselves and their communities.
Iowa Legal Aid is the only statewide provider of free, civil legal assistance to low-income Iowans. It helps people with critical legal needs that affect safety, shelter, sustenance and health:
· Protects victims of domestic violence;
· Protects families from unsafe housing and illegal evictions;
· Protects elderly Iowans from consumer fraud, elder abuse and financial exploitation, and
· Secures healthcare, SSI and basic public benefits for low income Iowans.
Services are provided in all 99 Iowa counties through 10 regional offices. Over 499,000 Iowans are income eligible for Iowa Legal Aid’s services.
Iowa Legal Aid closed approximately 15,600 cases in 2017, serving nearly 36,000 Iowans including approximately 15,000 children.
Iowa Legal Aid is unique in that a separate not-for-profit organization, the Iowa Legal Aid Foundation, has been created to serve as the philanthropic fundraising arm of Iowa Legal Aid, enhancing the organization’s ability to raise funds to both increase and sustain its service to low-income Iowans.
In addition to the salary, employees are provided a benefits package which includes health and dental insurance plans for the employee and dependents, with employees paying a portion of the health insurance premium, based on their salaries. The present health insurance plans are the Alliance Select Program and Alliance Select High Deductible, with a health savings account option, all with Wellmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The dental coverage is through Delta Dental. Full-time employees are also provided 401(k) benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications must include a letter expressing interest in the position, qualifications and what they hope to contribute to the organization’s future; a current resume; and a writing sample. Applications will be kept confidential until finalists are chosen.
Materials should be submitted electronically to email@example.com in Microsoft Word or pdf format.