99 Hollywood Drive
Director of Development
Developmental Disabilities Institute, DDI, is one of the largest providers of care to children and adults with Autism, developmental disabilities and other special needs. DDI has been a part of Long Island for over 50 years serving over 1,500 children and adults with Autism, other developmental disabilities and special needs. DDI provides innovative and expansive services to our population through various residential services, day habilitation programs and vocational services.
The Director of Development will report directly to the Executive Director and will serve as a member of the Senior Management team. S/he will play a pivotal role in developing successful fundraising programs and ensure the integration of the various programs within DDI. The Director of Development will collaborate with the Executive Director and the Board on goal setting and strategic planning, and provide vision, strategic direction and leadership for all aspects of DDI’s fundraising efforts to achieve revenue goals.
- Provide the strategic vision and collaborative leadership necessary to plan an effective and comprehensive three-year strategic plan for development and annual plans for the fundraising program.
- Implement the strategic and annual fundraising plans which will include working with major donors, foundations, direct mail, on-line giving and events with specific financial goals and objectives for each. This will also include engaging the Board, Executive Director and Senior Management.
- Identify strategic opportunities for new funding sources to expand DDI’s donor base.
- Partner with program staff to remain well-versed in DDI’s accomplishments, current priorities and future goals and develop compelling program statements that can attract funding and further DDI’s mission.
- Conduct research on current donors and develop a research process to seek out new individual and corporate donor prospects.
- Manage and administer any public capital campaigns for the organization for capital projects, endowment funds, and other special efforts.
- Establish a program to prepare proposals to corporate giving programs, foundations and other funding and grant sources.
- Represent DDI in face-to-face meetings with donors and identify networking opportunities for the Executive Director.
- Prepare monthly reports to the Board, in addition to an annual report, on the implementation of the annual fundraising plan.
- In conjunction with the Communications team, coordinate strategies for broad audience donor communications and develop effective media and advocacy campaigns and engaging marketing materials for website, direct mailings, and special events. In addition, maintain an annual calendar of fundraising activities and events.
- Oversee and lead all efforts in regards to DDI’s annual gala, golf outing, walk event, and other events throughout the year to meet fundraising goals.
- Maintain all donor and financial records, as well as individual campaign financial records.
- Assist and work with various parent, family and volunteer groups who also raise funds to benefit the services provided by the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Commitment to DDI’s mission, purpose and values.
- A strategic and creative development professional with at least ten years’ experience and a proven track record in the range of fundraising areas including major giving, planned giving, legislative grants, foundation support, direct mail, on-line and special event planning.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a track record in building relationships externally and internally and exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Analytical thinker, detail-oriented, team player who takes initiative and has the ability to work independently.
- Experience and/or strong interest and familiarity with the fundamental connection between development and communications both broadly and in the context of on-line engagement.
Powered by purpose, driven by you. DDI has an exceptional team of over 1800 employees who work to fulfill our mission to enrich the lives of children and adults with autism and other developmental disabilities. Do what you love, reap the rewards!
DDI takes pride in supporting you and your goals while you are supporting the people we serve. We offer top-notch training, career advancement, educational opportunities, and a benefits package with notable perks.
Health, Wellness and Rewards
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Generous Time-Off Policy
- Various Employee Exclusive Discounts
- Wellness Program
- Employer Assisted Housing Program
- Employee Recognition Programs
- Employee Referral Bonuses
- Professional Development
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Continuing Education Program
- Training and Development Resources
- Internship Opportunities
DDI’s Diverse and Inclusive Culture
Diversity at DDI is about acknowledging the unique experiences and perspectives each employee brings to the table. We recognize that capturing and drawing from diverse points of view improves our services and our agency as a whole. By valuing differences – whether race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, ability, military status, religion, generation, sexual orientation, or views – we engage top industry talent to drive our agency’s success.
We are committed to creating a deep sense of belonging and a culture where you feel welcomed, valued and respected. We build trusting relationships and identify areas for collaboration, all while ensuring that our environment is safe, friendly and fun for both our employees and the people we serve.
Minimum Education Required