District of Columbia
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist will be a part of Freedom House’s Program Strategy, Development and Learning Division. This position will provide technical assistance to the Human Rights Support Mechanism (HRSM) Leader with Associate Awards (LWA) five-year cooperative agreement from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). HRSM is aimed at implementing USAID’s Democracy, Human Rights and Governance (DRG) Strategy, specifically objective #3: Protect and promote universally recognized human rights. HRSM projects provide technical assistance and support to partners and beneficiaries in developing countries around the world to achieve the following objectives: 1. Improve enabling environments for preventing and addressing human rights violations and abuses; 2. Implement effective response actions to mitigate the impact of human rights violations and abuses; 3. Implement effective remedies to human rights violations and abuses; 4. Identify effective approaches for protecting human rights; and 5. Implement rapid response activities to urgent or unforeseen crises.
The position will be based in Washington, DC and will report to the Senior DM&E Specialist.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, research methods, international affairs, international development, or a related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in developing, implementing, and managing DME activities for an international organization (or a combination of education, training, and professional experience)
- Familiarity with US government and international funding agencies’ evaluation policies
- Project design and proposal experience, including crafting theories of change, logical and results frameworks, and monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Experience or significant training in both quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis methods
- Knowledge of and ability to apply different evaluation approaches and methodologies.
- Self-motivated and capable of taking initiative, as well as the ability to work effectively both independently and within a team
- Ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines, and employ creative problem-solving
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- High standards of integrity, professionalism, ethics, and respect for different cultures
- Strong commitment to ongoing professional development and networking within the M&E field
- Ability to travel approximately 10% of the time
- Experience as a trainer, preferably in DME skills preferred
- Proficiency with one or more data management and data analysis software platforms preferred (HRSM is currently utilizing DevResults, a cloud based data management system)
- Technical expertise in one or more of the thematic areas in which Freedom House works, including human rights, democracy promotion, governance, civil society development, LGBTI rights, gender equality, internet freedom, and/or transitional justice preferred
- At least 6 months to a year of practical field-based experience in DME and/or results-based project management preferred
- Knowledge of participatory methods, mixed methods, outcome mapping, most significant change, and/or advocacy evaluation techniques preferred
- Familiarity with strategic planning and internal policy development processes preferred
- Experience supporting organization-wide measurement systems preferred
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide detailed technical guidance and assistance in the creation and implementation of project-specific DME systems (e.g. developing project theories of change, logic models, performance indicators, monitoring and evaluation plans, data collection tools, reporting templates, reflection/learning processes)
- Manage the M&E data management system, including conducting data analysis for quarterly and final reporting. (Training will be provided on the system).
- Train and provide ongoing coaching to staff and local partners in DME principles and practice
- Assist with project design processes and contribute to proposal development
- Provide input into effective data collection procedures that meet best practice standards, including in insecure environments or with vulnerable populations
- Participate in periodic internal evaluations and manage external evaluations
- Create and/or contribute to institutional learning and knowledge management processes
- Other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer : This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter with desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position).
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.