4753 N Broadway St. Ste 502
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago is searching for a Policy Director to join our organizing team by December 2018. This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits. We are looking for an individual who is eager to work collaboratively with other highly passionate and committed individuals, whether our staff or grassroots community leaders. All candidates must be committed to our mission of building power through collective advocacy and organizing to achieve racial equity.
Application Deadline: 10/5/2018 by 5PM.
Reports to: Executive Director
- Conduct policy research and analysis on issues;
- Inform strategy for our issue-based campaigns;
- Advocate with decision-makers in-district and in Springfield;
- Educate our staff, grassroots leaders, and others on policy;
- Support the Pan Asian Voter Empowerment (PAVE) Coalition’s agenda;
- Represent Advancing Justice | Chicago in external coalitions including partnerships with the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights and Just Democracy Illinois;
- Partner with our national Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliates;
- Lead significant areas of work such as democracy and voting rights (including Advancing Justice | Chicago’s poll monitoring efforts);
- Participate in internal Advancing Justice | Chicago meetings, initiatives, etc.;
- Participate in grant application and reporting processes;
- Maintain a high-level of organization and accountability to expectations and deadlines.
- Commitment to grassroots organizing;
- Commitment to racial equity;
- Four to six years of experience in policy research and analysis;
- Four to six years of experience in policy advocacy, including a deep knowledge of federal, state, and/or local legislative processes;
- Significant experience with an issue-based campaign(s), including campaign strategy and tactics;
- Ability to communicate complex policy with multiple audiences, particularly grassroots community members;
- Familiarity with immigration policy.
- J.D. or graduate degree in relevant field of study;
- Experience supervising two or more staff;
- Experience with administrative aspects of a non-profit organization, including resource development;
- Strong communicator, including oral and writing;
- Experience engaging elected officials and government policy makers;
- Knowledge of Asian American and immigrant/refugee issues.
Full benefits package
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted electronically via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- Cover letter describing interest in the position, qualifications and expectations;
- Resume with chronological employment history;
- Names of three references who can speak the range of qualifications sought.
Please include “Policy Director Search” in the subject line of any email.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.