Location: Remote (within U.S. Central or Eastern time zone)
Are you ready to use your finance and accounting acumen to preserve the financial health of a pioneering social enterprise that is correcting the vision of millions of low-income customers so they can work, learn, stay safe, and care for their families?
VisionSpring seeks a skilled and efficient finance and accounting senior manager with an active CPA license and international experience. The senior manager is responsible for maintaining accurate and timely financial records by entering, processing, and reconciling transactions in accordance with established procedures and formats; managing accounts payable; and ensuring financial compliance for restricted and unrestricted grants. The person in this role will prepare reports and schedules to facilitate budget preparation, 990 filing, monthly and annual financial reporting, and successful year-end audits. The senior manager leads the monthly close process for the U.S. office and the global consolidation of closes for operations in Africa, Bangladesh, India, the U.S., and Vietnam. This position reports to the vice president of finance, and may be located anywhere in the Eastern or Central time zone of the United States.
At VisionSpring, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our core value to advance equity. Our mission is predicated on removing a fundamental barrier to full economic and social participation—uncorrected blurry vision. The values that underpin our mission energize our commitment to a diverse and inclusive team. A diverse team also allows VisionSpring to approach problems with nuance and develop unique insights that drive an outsized positive impact in the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain talented people from diverse backgrounds and support everyone in being exactly who they are. VisionSpring is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
- You have a deep understanding of accounting fundamentals. You do not just defer to the accounting software to ensure accuracy, but understand the mechanics of credits and debits underpinning the system.
- For you, organizational accountability is personal. You deliver at the highest level in order to close the books every month, complete audits, and help leaders make informed decisions. You make accurate entries the first time.
- You are analytical. You read financial statements and seek to understand the underlying business. You are quick to notice when things don’t add up. You are not afraid to speak up when things look amiss.
- Your world needs to be predictable, so you make it so. Instinctively you adhere to routines and timelines and help others participate in structured, repeatable processes.
- You strive for continual improvement. You are always looking for a better way to get recording and reporting done more efficiently.
- Friends would describe you as trustworthy and structured, smart with low ego, and highly ethical.
- VisionSpring is creating access to affordable eyewear, everywhere. Clear vision creates opportunities for increased learning, work, safety, civic participation, and quality of life.
- As a social enterprise, social change motivates us first. Our focus on sales and revenue targets serves and advances our mission objective—to increase functioning, productivity, and income earning potential for our low-income consumers by correcting refractive error and presbyopia with eyeglasses.
- We are working to transform the systemic dysfunction of an optical market that has failed to deliver eyeglasses—a 700-year-old technology—to 2.7 billion consumers in need of vision correction, most of whom live on less than $4 a day.
- We serve low-income consumers, not as beneficiaries but as customers. Our customers expect a high-quality and affordable product, and they will spend limited discretionary income for the immediate and tangible benefits of vision correction.
- By selling eyeglasses, we awaken new demand and seed a viable market. By selling new eyeglasses we are able to serve four times as many people per dollar input than the alternative of donating recycled ones. To efficiently scale, we must deliver each new unit with lower cost.
- We run our business on both sales metrics and social impact measures. We use a range of organizational forms and practices to get the job done.
- We believe in scaling our impact, not our organization. We are a lean team of doers.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Manage the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities for accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, payroll, fixed asset records, and general and entity accounting under GAAP accounting practices.
- Input checks, invoices, and deposits in SAP.
- Input journal entries and accruals at the end of each month.
- Process all approved payments; maintain accounts payable.
- Input payroll information for New York support office employees (~15) via recording entries.
- Reconcile bank accounts daily.
- Manage cash flow and working capital forecasting.
- Manage the financial recording of all grants, restricted and unrestricted.
- Track utilization against donor funds (project funding utilization), including restrictions. Ensure the accurate coding of international transfers, expenses, and revenue recognition associated with restricted grants.
- Maintain a general ledger that supports active financial management and donor reporting.
- Troubleshoot bookkeeping-related problems. Attain optimal resolutions when matters go awry.
Reporting and Budget Preparation
- Manage the monthly close process for VisionSpring’s U.S. office.
- Manage the monthly global consolidation of closes for operations in Africa, Bangladesh, India, the U.S., and Vietnam.
- Prepare monthly and year-end financial reports.
- Analyze and track budget to actual variance.
- Assist with annual business planning for VisionSpring’s work in India, Bangladesh, five countries in Africa, Vietnam, and the U.S.
Audit and Tax Filing
- Provide reports and schedules for annual audit and tax filings, including 990 and 1099 reporting.
- Managing tax planning and compliance with all required federal, state, local, payroll, property, and other applicable taxes for U.S. legal entities.
- Monitor changes in financial and accounting protocol/laws in key market countries to maintain compliance.
Global Finance Support
- Manage vendor payments through VisionSpring’s Bill.com payment management system to ensure accurate recording of all payments and maintenance of supporting documentation.
- Work with the operations teams to manage proper recordings of transactional activities such as purchasing, invoicing, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Interface with external firms for insurance, benefits, credit card expense processing, and financial subscription services.
- Support organizational migration from QuickBooks Enterprise Desktop to SAP for U.S., Bangladesh, and Africa finances. Identify and implement the check and balance processes required between operations and financial transactions to ensure financial integrity.
- As VisionSpring expands in key market countries, provide support and guidance to locally-based bookkeeper(s).
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience, including 5 years of professional bookkeeping experience, 5 years of organizational accounting responsibility, 1 year of product/sales accounting, and 3 years of experience with SAP.
- CPA with active license.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or another relevant field.
- Strong understanding of the practices and procedures of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as applied to financial accounting, reporting, and recording transactions.
- Nonprofit accounting and bookkeeping experience, including accounting for grant and donor funds.
- Experience supporting an annual external audit process.
- Job/project-based accounting experience; familiarity with percentage of completion accounting method.
- Experience managing the consolidation of financial reports across multiple entities, global preferred.
- Understanding and implementation of internal controls.
- Ability to prepare and analyze financial statements and reports, including the preparation of financial updates for leadership.
- Technology savvy, including excellent Excel skills and comfort using PowerPoint.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Must meet the highest standards of ethics and personal integrity.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- You will impress us if you have any of the following: (1) Experience in cost accounting for, and reporting of, goods available for sale/inventory in a B2B environment; (2) Work with organizations that have international operations; (3) Familiarity with Bill.com or similar payment management system; (4) Comfort using QuickBooks; (5) Experience in an FMCG business.
- Salary range is $75,000-$85,000 per year, based on experience and education.
- We offer comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, and vision, as well as 401(k) with match, pre-tax commuter plan, flexible spending accounts, and generous vacation/personal time.
- We want to know more than just what you have done. We want to know who you are. What are the passions and talents that draw you to this role?
- Please update your CV/résumé to include a phrase or sentence describing the business of each organization where you have worked. Applications without this information will not be considered.
- Please submit your application, including a thoughtful cover letter and CV/résumé, saved as a single document, through LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2434583343
- The preferred start date is April 5, 2021.
- Please note, only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.