Palestine Legal seeks a full time Communications Manager to spearhead Palestine Legal’s media engagement and communications work.
The Communications Manager will play a critical role in developing and executing multifaceted communications strategies that advance Palestine Legal’s work to protect the movement for Palestinian rights. This person will work in collaboration with Palestine Legal staff and with partner lawyers and organizations, clients, and others to implement communications strategies across platforms. The ideal candidate is a dynamic individual who has experience in communications, public relations or journalism, and is passionate about getting Palestinian and Palestine solidarity perspectives in the media. They are an exceptional communicator, both verbally, visually and in writing, and are organized, responsive, reliable, and pay acute attention to detail. They will report directly to the Director.
The strong preference is for the Communications Manager to be located in Palestine Legal’s Chicago or New York office.
The Communications Manager is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
ABOUT PALESTINE LEGAL:
Palestine Legal is an independent organization dedicated to protecting the civil and constitutional rights of people in the US who speak out for Palestinian freedom. Our mission is to bolster the Palestine solidarity movement by challenging efforts to threaten, harass and legally bully activists into silence and inaction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and execute Palestine Legal’s multifaceted communications strategy, for the organization as a whole and for specific cases and advocacy campaigns, using traditional media, social media, and other creative ways to reach broad audiences.
- Draft and copyedit press materials, including press releases, pitches, messaging documents.
- Prepare and copyedit media pieces such as op-eds, articles, letters to the editor and other communications materials.
- Develop relationships with journalists, reporters, editors and producers, and maintain up-to-date press lists.
- Develop ideas, pitch newsworthy stories to journalists and respond to media requests.
- Produce content for and update Palestine Legal website.
- Manage social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook and Instragram, create graphics and analyze social media metrics.
- Draft newsletters and other communications for Palestine Legal’s email lists.
- Collaborate with clients and partner organizations on media campaigns related to Palestine Legal’s case and advocacy work.
- Prepare staff, clients and others for communications with media outlets and media appearances.
- Create and/or produce videos, memes and interactive web features.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with the production of reports and other materials.
- Participate in organizational and programmatic planning processes.
- Contribute to other project areas, including development and public education, as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in relevant field (communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, or related fields).
- 4-8 years of experience working in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or a related field.
- 1-2 years of experience working with media outlets preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional writing and communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to communicate legal or other complex issues to a variety of audiences.
- Experience managing campaigns across various media platforms.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Familiarity with the legal suppression that Palestinian rights activists face in the U.S. and understanding of the Palestinian movement for freedom, in general.
- Strong commitment to the mission of Palestine Legal, and to building a healthy, sustainable organization.
- Strong relationships with diverse communities, colleagues and activist bases.
- Excellent knowledge of mainstream and independent media landscape; existing relationships with media sources a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively, multi-task, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative at problem-solving.
- Multi-media production skills (graphic design and video editing) preferred.
- Familiarity with SquareSpace or other website programs a plus.
The Communications Manager/ Associate will report directly to the Project Director. S/he/they may supervise the work of interns, volunteers, and other project staff. S/he/they will also communicate directly with coalitions of activists and advocacy organizations, building and maintaining organizational and personal relationships.
Some travel may be required within the U.S., via plane or other means of transportation, up to 5 times a year. Some lifting may be required (e.g. carrying luggage, computers, resources for audiences, etc., up to 50 pounds on occasion). Candidate must be able to sit for long periods of time and type on a computer and must be able to communicate frequently by phone and electronically.
This position may be home-based and/or work from a shared office space. There may be 1 or more people in an office space (details to be determined). When traveling, work may be performed in public spaces, at conferences, often in hotels or universities, and will require transportation between different locations for presentations and lodging.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This is a full time position. The beginning salary for the minimum level of required experience is $50,000, with annual merit-based increases according to an established salary scale. Excellent health and other benefits, including paid sick, holidays and vacation are also provided in a work culture that encourages a healthy work-life balance.
Excellent health and other benefits, including paid sick, holidays and vacation are also provided.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resume, media writing sample (up to 5 pages) and cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how you think you can contribute to Palestine Legal’s mission to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Communications Position Application.” Applications will be reviewed until October 31, or until position is filled. The projected start date is January, 2019.
Palestine Legal, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.