180 Howard Street
About the Organization
California Bar Foundation is a statewide foundation that empowers the next generation of lawyers, judges and activists to create a more diverse legal profession, a fair justice system, and a better California.
We believe that a state as diverse as California needs a justice system led by advocates of all races and ethnicities. That’s why we invest in the next generation of bright, diverse scholars to ensure that they have the opportunity to become tomorrow’s legal changemakers. Because righting historical wrongs in our courtrooms, classrooms, and beyond will allow us to truly deliver the original American value--Justice for All.
About the Position
California Bar Foundation is experiencing significant growth and will soon launch a rebrand and name change. We seek a strategic, vigilant, optimistic Executive Director who isn’t afraid to think and act big to solve California’s equity challenges. The Executive Director will need to embody the organization’s ambitious goal to create a justice system as diverse as California in one generation by confronting systemic barriers head on.
This position reports directly to a large statewide Board of Directors and manages a small, San Francisco based staff. The selected individual will have primary responsibility over all management functions: brand strategy, program strategy, public relations, fund development, financial management, Board support, and related administrative duties. This position requires significant capacity for day to day administration and management as well as fearless drive and passion for social justice.
Broad understanding of California’s legal and social justice communities required. The Executive Director will be the face and voice of the organization.
This is a full-time exempt position, based in San Francisco and will require travel within the state. The Executive Director is a non-voting member of the Board of Directors.
- Brand Strategy: The organization is about to publicly unveil a comprehensive, rebrand. The Executive Director will provide leadership and tactical implementation of this new brand as it relates to programmatic growth/quality, fund development, and communications/media/public relations.
- Program Strategy: Provide oversight to ensure that, in addition to helping meet the operational goals of the organization, all new and existing programs also work to strengthen the strategic and brand goals.
- Public Relations: Serve as the public face of the organization, including panels, speeches, statements, and written editorials. Lead all marketing and messaging strategy, in partnership with Communications staff.
- Fund Development: Supervise all fund development activities, including annual fund, law firm, and corporate campaigns. Lead all fundraising strategy, in partnership with Development staff.
- Financial Management: Prepare approximately $2 million annual budget and manage the organizational resources within budgetary guidelines. With the support of an accounting consultant, oversee daily financial operations, implement internal financial controls, and ensure yearly audit is conducted.
- Board Support: Serve as primary staff liaison with the Board of Directors, including regular communication regarding the organization’s operations, programs, and fund development.
- Fearless drive and commitment to the organization’s mission to build a better justice system for all Californians;
- Deep knowledge of California’s legal community, including law firms, legal services organizations, law schools, the courts, and both the civil and criminal justice systems;
- J.D. strongly preferred;
- Fundraising experience, including annual solicitation, major gifts, donor relations, direct mail, and social media fundraising;
- Five or more years of nonprofit/philanthropic management, board service or other relevant experience preferred;
- Excellent communication skills; public speaking experience a plus;
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, responsiveness, and follow-through;
- Experience leading, growing, and inspiring a highly effective team;
- Excellent database and office skills (Excel, Word, Salesforce)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to: email@example.com (include “Executive Director” in the subject line).
We are an equal opportunity employer. People of color and others of diverse backgrounds strongly encouraged to apply.