DIRECTOR OF COLLEGE COUNSELING - 2018-2019 (BROOKE HIGH SCHOOL)
at Brooke Charter Schools (View all jobs)
Background on Brooke
Founded in 2002, Brooke Charter Schools is a network of college preparatory public schools with five campuses in Boston. Brooke currently serves 1,730 students in grades K-10 and will grow to serve 2,200 students in grades K-12 by 2022.
Named after the late Senator Edward W. Brooke, the first African-American popularly elected to the U.S. Senate, our strategy is to focus relentlessly on developing excellent teaching. Reflecting the diversity of the communities we serve in Boston and Chelsea, 56% of Brooke students self-identify as Black, 34% as Latino, 6% Caucasian, 2% Asian, and 2% Native American or multiracial. About three-quarters of Brooke students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. Over the last several years, Brooke students have set a new bar for what is possible in urban public education, consistently outperforming their peers in Boston Public Schools, and producing academic achievement results among the highest in the state.
Brooke is looking for a Director of Brooke’s College Counseling Department. This is a crucial leadership role that requires an ability to create a research-based vision for an entire department, hire and manage staff to reach that vision, and continuously drive towards Brooke’s mission of ensuring that all Brooke students graduate from college.
Brooke High launched in August of 2016 with a small 9th grade class of 68 students. We will grow Brooke High by adding new 9th graders yearly and will have our first graduating class in June of 2020. In order to create a College Counseling Department that is able to provide exceptional support to all Brooke High students, we are looking to hire the Department Director as our first graduating class is starting their sophomore year.
During the Director’s first year, he/she will research college counseling departments’ structures, functions, and successes at other urban public charter schools and CMOs, at district high schools, and at independent high schools. Working closely with the Principal and with input from the Network Co-Directors, the Director will then develop a vision for the Department, which must encompass:
- clear definitions of success and metrics for how to evaluate the success of the Department;
- a sustainable staffing model for the Department that will allow for adequate individualized support for all students;
- consideration of how the Brooke High advisory system will support college counseling and training of advisors to support college success;
- development of a college success curriculum and plan to deliver college prep strategically to all Brooke High students at the appropriate grade level;
- a multi-year parental empowerment plan to share college access / persistence information and skills with parents;
- cultivation of relationships with colleges in the Boston area, across New England, and at select national colleges with specific programs supporting low-income students of color;
- structures and strategies to ensure robust summer opportunities for all students to support college and career goals; and
- a communication plan with all relevant stakeholders, both internal and external.
In subsequent years, the Director will be responsible for hiring and managing all staff in the College Counseling Department. This position reports to the Brooke High School Principal and is key leadership position.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Six-plus years of experience in college counseling or college access with a population that is predominantly low-income, first generation college students
- Analytical skills necessary to design and lead a world-class college counseling department that is urgent, efficient, and effective
- Commitment to and ability to use data to drive decision making
- Strong leadership skills and experience managing direct reports
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Exceptional organizational skills and time management
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with students, parents, and colleagues
- Shared dedication to Brooke’s mission and organizational values
- A commitment to proactive, clear, and effective communication with all staff, students, families, college personnel, and community organizations
- Excellent teamwork, initiative, urgency, and positivity
- Outgoing, warm, calm, sincere and professional demeanor in all situations
Minimum Education Required