At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature - to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center for Biological Diversity is currently looking for a full-time California wildlife attorney. This position is located in Oakland or Sacramento, California, with other locations in California considered on a case-by-case basis.
The California Wildlife Attorney will work on litigation, administrative and policy advocacy, and grassroots and media outreach designed to protect California's wildlife. The emphasis will be on the state's remnant native carnivores, including bobcats, bears, coyotes and wolves. A particular focus of the position will be to advocate before the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, California Fish and Game Commission and state legislature for implementation, enforcement and/or reform of the state's laws and regulations relating to hunting, trapping, depredation and habitat protection. The position will report to the conservation director.
- Litigate cases under state and federal laws including the California Environmental Quality Act, California and Federal Endangered Species Acts, California Fish and Game Code, National Environmental Policy Act and others.
- Advocate administratively through commenting on proposed rulemakings and the preparation of petitions for rulemaking before the California Fish and Game Commission and other relevant agencies.
- Track, analyze and advocate on state legislation.
- Engage with allied conservation groups, activists and the general public to help pass or defeat relevant state legislation and regulations.
- Speak publicly at hearings, conferences, and other events, and with the media about California wildlife issues.
- Prepare communications such as press releases, op-eds, fact sheets and white papers.
- Travel periodically.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Admitted to practice law in California or law degree and willingness to take California Bar;
- Experience with environmental statutes including the California and Federal Endangered Species Acts, National Environmental Policy Act and California Environmental Quality Act;
- Ideally, experience lobbying at the federal or state level;
- Scientific literacy;
- Excellent research, writing, and oral advocacy skills;
- Ability to manage a project docket and work well independently and with others as part of an effective team;
- Passion for, and knowledge of, the natural world, biodiversity, wildlife and waters;
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental protection.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Center offers an excellent benefits package, including:
- Employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance;
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with opportunity for match;
- Generous time-off policies;
- Relaxed work atmosphere.
Application process: Please apply by submitting a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three to five references with your application. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.