2725 Clifton Ave.
Higher Education Internal Organizer
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
St. Louis, MO
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building power for low-wage workers and fighting in larger struggles for social justice on issues such as health care, immigration reform and racial justice. Full and part-time faculty are coming together to right the disparities that have lowered the bar in higher education. We are now hiring a Higher Education Internal Organizer to work on exciting campaigns to organize adjunct faculty members in St. Louis, MO.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to higher education faculty.
· Building one-on-one relationships with faculty union members.
· Identifying, recruiting and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
· Conducting individual/group meetings with adjunct faculty to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
· Motivating individual adjunct faculty members and groups of workers to take action.
· Engaging adjunct faculty in broader union efforts.
· Coordinating with adjunct faculty to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
· Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
· Capacity to work independently and with a team.
· The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
· Sharp communications skills, basic writing and computer skills.
· The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
· Willingness to conduct house visits and worksite visits.
· Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
· A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
· A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
· Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
· Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
· Car allowance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email a resume and cover letter at: http://seiu1.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2kqigcenpu2