10 Wood Street
We are currently seeking an experienced, innovative and enthusiastic Chief Development Officer who will play a critical role in Isles’ long-term success. You will lead efforts to identify, develop, and grow significant, sustainable relationships with individual donors who can provide us with necessary financial resources for years to come. Additionally, working with talented staff you will design and implement special events designed to showcase Isles’ services and encourage investment.
The position requires a leader who can inspire staff, trustees and volunteers and who has a proven record of accomplishment in securing major gifts and stewarding long-term relationships with individual donors. The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer of Isles and works in close collaboration with the President/CEO and Board of Trustees.
The position requires exceptional verbal, persuasive, organizational, analytical, writing and editing skills; as well as the ability to work in a collaborative and consultative manner with colleagues. The Chief Development Officer must understand the nature and peculiarities of Isles’ services and the giving trends in the region.
- Lead a donor stewardship team with a proven record of success, coordinating efforts throughout Isles while taking the lead on new donor identification and stewardship;
- Build and facilitate existing and new relationships with individuals and family foundations to raise significant leadership gifts, emphasizing five, six and seven figure donors and prospects;
- Develop personalized proposals and business cases for major donor approaches around varied focus areas, especially in non-profit services and public policy;
- Engage “volunteer champions” and build a leadership volunteer team that effectively develops, retains, and grows individual gifts;
- Create strategic, goal-driven annual development plans that include major gifts, planned giving, capital campaigns, fund raising events, donor visits, volunteer management and solicitations;
- Meet short-and long-term strategic fundraising goals;
- Implement effective donor programs, assess effectiveness, adjust strategies, and provide leadership to ensure achievement of performance goals;
- Continue development of Isles’ donor development data and effectively analyze information to implement informed strategies;
- Demonstrate behaviors in concert with Isles’ mission, vision, values, policies, and procedures.
WHO WILL BE SUCCESSFUL:
The leader who thrives in this position is experienced in donor development, passionate, visionary, curious, creative, open-minded, flexible, self-directed, and willing to learn from mistakes. S/he is also results-driven, detail-oriented, and responsible.
Education, Experience and certifications:
- Minimum 5 years of donor development experience with at least 3 years face-to-face major gift and planned giving experience
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in non-profit management preferred
- Significant experience in management of development department and staff
- Extensive understanding of and experience using donor databases and non-profit software (Salesforce preferred)
- Involvement with national and local foundations from a leadership perspective
- Proven ability to quickly develop rapport and strong relationships with donors
- Above average in use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Proven record of accomplishment of closing major gifts and meeting fundraising goals
- Experience using a moves management approach to donor development
Ambition and Vision: Ability to take initiative, be proactive, and come up with your own list of projects and priorities; self-motivated
Personality and Eloquence: Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; must be a confident and persuasive communicator and presenter; ability to represent Isles in a professional and personable manner and build relationships with a wide-range of people through public speaking and networking; ability to use both “head and heart” methods of persuasion, drawing on both data and success stories to demonstrate a point
Mission-Related Knowledge: Passion for Isles’ mission and services, and ability to make meaningful connections between potential donor interests and Isles’ mission and services
Effective Workstyle: Ability to work with a positive attitude and professional approach; ability to work well with diverse personalities, in a team or individually; excellent organizational skills; attention to detail
Health, dental and vision coverage
Flexible spending account
401(k) with match
Paid holidays and paid vacation
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter, resume and recent writing sample to email@example.com. Your application materials should demonstrate why you're a good fit for this position and what specific skills, experience, talents and interest you'll bring to the table.