Details: Salary commensurate with experience
360 East 161st Street
The Bronx Defenders – an innovative, progressive, holistic indigent defense office in the South Bronx – seeks an energetic Supervising Attorney with a commitment to social justice to join our Civil Action Practice.
BxD is a public defender non-profit that is radically transforming how low-income people in the Bronx are represented in the justice system, and, in doing so, is transforming the system itself. BxD seeks thoughtful, creative, energetic individuals with a strong commitment to social justice to join our dynamic staff.
Our diverse staff of over 350 includes interdisciplinary teams made up of criminal, civil, immigration, and family defense attorneys, as well as social workers, benefits specialists, legal advocates, parent advocates, investigators, and team administrators, all of whom collaborate to provide holistic legal and social service advocacy. Through this integrated team-based structure, we have pioneered a groundbreaking, nationally-recognized model of representation called holistic defense that achieves better outcomes for our clients.
Each year, we defend 27,000 low-income Bronx residents in criminal, civil, child welfare, and immigration cases, and reach thousands more through our community intake, youth mentoring, and outreach programs. Through impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community organizing, we push for systemic reform at the local, state, and national level. We take what we learn from the clients and communities that we serve, and launch innovative initiatives designed to bring about real and lasting change.
Our Civil Action Practice provides comprehensive legal services to our clients and their families by fully integrating civil representation with our criminal and family defense practices. Our goal is to minimize the severe and often unforeseen fallout from criminal and family court proceedings and facilitate the seamless reintegration of our clients into the community. The current Civil Action Practice attorneys and legal advocates represent clients in every forum in New York City – administrative, state, and federal – to address these problems.
Our civil staff attorneys and advocates provide comprehensive representation to assist our clients in overcoming civil legal barriers to housing, eviction, employment, and public benefits, as well as addressing instances of police misconduct, criminal record errors, and civil forfeiture.
Role & Responsibilities
The Civil Action Practice seeks a Supervising Attorney to work closely with the Managing Director to supervise and mentor the general civil staff attorneys and legal advocates, as well as provide comprehensive civil legal representation in collaboration with our interdisciplinary teams.
The Supervising Attorney will be responsible for:
- Implementing practice priorities, assigning work, and supervising, supporting, and assessing staff to assure high-quality legal representation
- Carrying an individual caseload proportionate to their supervisory responsibilities
- Providing comprehensive advocacy and representation to help our clients resolve a broad range of civil legal problems such as barriers to housing, eviction, employment, public benefits, forfeiture, police misconduct, criminal record errors, and disability
- Representing clients in a range of contexts, including negotiations, administrative and judicial proceedings, and trials
- Working with the Director to develop and implement training and public education to the community
Qualified applicants should:
- Be admitted to practice law in New York
- Have a minimum of 4 years of litigation experience, with specific experience in housing law
- Have demonstrated commitment to the public interest law, racial justice and housing justice
- Have experience working in and with racially and socioeconomically marginalized communities
- Have demonstrated experience supervising attorneys, advocates or interns
- Be creative, flexible, independent, and highly motivated leaders
- Have excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written advocacy skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team of lawyers and non-lawyers in criminal, immigration, and family practices
- Experience with reentry issues is highly desirable
- Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please visit our Career Portal at the link provided, select the position of interest, please click APPLY FOR THIS JOB ONLINE and upload a cover letter, resume, and redacted writing sample as a single document when prompted. Applications missing any components or not submitted in the requested manner will not be considered.
The application deadline is Friday, December 7th, but applications will be considered on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as appropriate candidates are identified.
Please contact Runa Rajagopal, Managing Director, Civil Action Practice, via email at email@example.com with any questions regarding the position.
The Bronx Defenders is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, orientations, experiences, and communities to apply.