About Room to Grow
Room to Grow is a nonprofit organization that believes one day all parents will have the resources they need to unlock their families’ potential and become champions for babies and their community. Our mission is to offer structured coaching, material goods, and community connections to support parents as they activate their natural strengths and expand their knowledge so children thrive from the start. Room to Grow was founded in New York in 1998 and expanded to Boston in 2005. We partner with over 1,400 families per year with an annual budget of $5M and a team of 45. Our innovative program delivers three types of support – parenting education, material goods, and clinical and community referrals. Our model ensures that parents receive knowledge, tools, and confidence to raise children who are developmentally and socially ready to learn and meet their full potential in education, health, work, and citizenship.
As an entrepreneurial and growth-oriented organization, Room to Grow is in the midst of an exciting period of development, as it continues to expand our reach and impact in New York and Boston and is considering additional locations. In 2020, Room to Grow adapted and digitized parts of its model to continue supporting families during COVID-19, and it will continue to leverage best practices and resources to support low-income communities as circumstances evolve.
The Room to Grow Core Values
Our core values apply to working with each other, with our families, partners, donors, and other collaborators.
Integrity: Consistently conduct business in a way that is accountable, authentic, transparent, honest, and ethical.
Respect: Treat people equally and with compassion. Value differences and affirm the dignity, potential, and contribution of all staff, partners, clients, volunteers, and the public.
Growth: Challenges are a learning opportunity. We cultivate an environment that promotes ongoing education, coaching, continuous improvement, and innovation.
Collaboration: Our mission depends on the quality of our relationships and linkages cross-regionally, cross-departmentally, and with community partners and collaborators. We work together to support our individual and collective goals.
Community: The health of our organization relies on supportive interactions within our community, built on shared beliefs in responsibility, generosity, enthusiasm, humility, and levity.
Inclusion: An open-minded, inclusive work environment that fosters diversity, creativity, and empowerment in everything we do.
Room to Grow is seeking a passionate and driven individual to lead finance and operations for the organization. Reporting to the CEO, the Director, Finance and Operations will be a member of the leadership team of Directors and will manage functions critical to org-wide success, including finance, information technology, compliance, and business operations. This person will also oversee the Manager, Finance & Operations and a Coordinator, Finance & Operations. This is an ideal opportunity for a strategic and results-oriented leader with a track record of building and right-sizing systems in organizations that have moved from start-up to long-term sustainability. Position based in United States, flexible location.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Provide strategic finance and accounting direction and oversight of a $5M+ budget
- Oversee the fiscal management of the organization, through supervision of the finance and operations team, including the following:
- Serve as the top financial advisor for the organization and advise the CEO and other key members on fiscal strategies related to financial planning
- Develop financial reports and ensure timeliness of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting for the Board and funders
- Collaborate with the CEO and Regional Executives on regional budgets planning, monitor progress, implementation and cost management
- Oversee all accounting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, chart of accounts and general ledger, monthly reconciliations, processing 1099’s, staff payroll, and ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Enhance accounting systems, processes, tools, and control systems to ensure application of appropriate internal controls and financial policies and procedures
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit and tax activities: supervise the preparation for annual audits and ensure all required IRS and state filings are up to date
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management, as well as financing strategies and banking relationships
- Managing the financial tasks required for grant applications and management of grant funds and contracts (government and private) while ensuring financial compliance with all applicable requirements.
2. Develop and maintain compliance systems and risk management
- Research federal, state, and local legal and regulatory requirements and ensure compliance
- Lead organization-wide risk management and legal affairs, such as reviewing all third-party contracts and annually assessing all insurance policies and negotiating rates
- In collaboration with People & Culture, Communications, and Program Operations, proactively create and disseminate organizational communication related to operations, safety, and compliance
- Oversee document retention in compliance with applicable city, state, and federal regulations and internal organizational policies
3. Establish and maintain information technology and data systems
- Assess current technology systems and plan for future needs in collaboration with the Development and Program Operations teams
- Manage outsourced IT vendor to ensure continuous delivery of technology in accordance with service-level agreements and contractual obligations
- Develop security policies and procedures and train staff to mitigate the risk of cyber threats
- Manage tracking of all technology devices across the organization
- Assess the technological needs for future expansion sites and develop strategies for implementation
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- At least 5+ years of experience in finance and accounting with at least 5 years of experience in a management role, broad experience in financial strategy, budgeting, supervision of finance and accounting staff, audits, systems development and implementation, and compliance. Prior success in nonprofit financial management is highly valued for this role
- Resourceful, results-oriented, team player with a customer service orientation
- Ability to innovate, collaborate, and facilitate change through organizational layers
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously with stakeholders across an organization
- Excellent relationship building skills with a demonstrated ability to work well with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Excellent communication and listening skills, including the ability to communicate with professionalism and empathy
- Ability to negotiate and execute contracts and manage the quality of service providers and vendors
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education, beliefs, and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity across the Room to Grow community.
- Experience in the fields of public health, social work, early childhood development, and/or poverty alleviation a plus
MISSION AND CULTURE ALIGNMENT
Allows a candidate to thrive at Room to Grow and to be highly motivated by the organization’s work and mission. A successful candidate:
- Embodies our core values of: integrity, respect, growth, collaboration, community, and inclusion; articulates an authentic passion for and unwavering belief in Room to Grow’s mission, demonstrating a commitment to and literacy around the issues of equity that undergird our work
- Demonstrates comfort with ambiguity and navigates changes in direction with ease
- Presents as collaborative and flexible with a strong service mentality
- Ability to navigate a local/national structure
- Approaches work with a learning orientation, continuously seeking to improve his or her own work and the work of the organization
Enables a candidate to lead, motivate, and manage the team to results while managing organizational priorities and operations. A successful candidate:
- Has experience leading cross-functional, multi-layered teams and managing organizational or department budgets
- Models strong management instincts and the ability to build a collaborative and service-oriented culture among Room to Grow staff while developing a team that is curious and passionate about their work
- Demonstrates the ability to build, develop, and inspire high-performing, diverse teams with an eye towards meeting/exceeding goals, professional development, and clear delegation
- Demonstrates the ability to be a highly collaborative and partner effectively with leaders across organizations
RELATIONSHIP BUILDING AND INFLUENCING
Enables a candidate to build deep relationships with a broad range of stakeholders. A successful candidate:
- Understands and appreciates the importance and complexity of relationships and builds rapport with a wide range of people
- Is a skilled communicator who can deliver reliable and relevant information to stakeholders with diverse backgrounds
- Has the ability to initiate and cultivate relationships and influence with a diverse range of stakeholders including C-suite executives, Board members, peer leaders, and external vendors
STRATEGIC THINKING WITH AN EXECUTION FOCUS
Enables a candidate to develop and execute organizational strategy to realize Room to Grow’s local and national vision. Also allows a candidate to problem solve for the organization and to continuously improve service performance, implementation, and delivery. A successful candidate:
- Demonstrates disciplined, entrepreneurial, and creative thinking with a track record of developing strategies in the face of complexity and ambiguity
- Ability to link strategic objectives with the financial goals of the organization
- Demonstrated track record of using financial analysis to create predictive scenarios that drive action and decision-making with multiple stakeholders
- Track record of assessing risk and making recommendations to maintain compliance with regulatory and legal requirements
- Inspires team members to implement and leverage data in their work and decision-making
- Has a track record of translating a vision for a team, department, or organization into effective strategies for execution, setting ambitious goals, and delivering results; comfortable learning new tools for measurement and effectively interpreting data
Compensation and Benefits
Salary and benefits will be competitive for our field and commensurate with experience. Room to Grow is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Position based in United States, flexible location.