Chinese Mutual Aid Association (CMAA) is seeking an Adult Basic Education (ABE) Instructor to support its Adult Education and Transitions programming in Elgin. The instructor will prepare limited English proficient adult learners to transition to a GED program, access postsecondary education or training opportunities, and/or succeed in the workforce. This position is part-time.
The ideal candidate will display a deep commitment to offering high-quality Adult Education programming and be adept at developing innovative and culturally-competent lessons.
About Chinese Mutual Aid Association
Chinese Mutual Aid Association is a fast-paced organization, dedicated to fostering the integration of the Pan-Asian immigrant and refugee community into U.S. culture. Established in 1981, CMAA has been a cornerstone of the Uptown community since then, providing programming for generations of low-income youth, adults, and senior citizens. In addition to offering services out of their main site in Chicago, CMAA has also been offering Adult Education programming in Elgin since November 2017.
Essential Function and Responsibilities
The ABE Pre-GED Program Instructor is responsible for the following:
● Planning, organizing, and providing Adult Basic Education classes to limited-English proficient adults at CMAA’s Elgin satellite office, local partner sites, and/or virtually
● Developing a curriculum for the newly-launched program
● Developing and delivering lesson plans that utilize a broad range of differentiated techniques, addressing Illinois ABE Content Standards and ensuring that learners meet or exceed state-wide program metrics
● Monitoring student attendance, goals, referrals, and testing; administering assessments for the purpose of evaluating student progress; working with CMAA staff to ensure that students are able to access a wide array of support services
● Conducting outreach for classes; registering students for classes
● Advocating on behalf of Adult Education students; working with Adult Education and Transitions staff and leadership to identify opportunities for program growth
● Other duties as assigned
We’re seeking candidates who have excellent organizational skills, demonstrate initiative and strong critical thinking skills, and are strong communicators. You should have:
● Previous experience teaching English as a Second Language or Adult Basic Education
● Experience managing multiple projects and the ability to keep concise and accurate records
● Proven ability to work both independently and as a team member, cooperating with and demonstrating cultural sensitivity to staff and constituents
● A Bachelor's degree (required)
Evening and weekend hours may be required for this position. The position is part-time and approximately 19 hours per week.
Chinese Mutual Aid Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Chinese Mutual Aid Association (CMAA) is seeking an Adult Basic Education (ABE) Instructor to support its Adult Education and Transitions programming in Elgin. The instructor will prepare limited English proficient adult learners to…