Details: Salary is determined by Legal Services NYC Collective Bargaining Agreement
349 East 149th Street
*This position is at Legal Services NYC-Bronx*
Bronx Legal Services, a program of Legal Services NYC, is seeking an Intake Paralegal for its Tax and Economic Justice Unit. We assist taxpayers who are low-income, or who speak English as a second language (ESL). We educate ESL taxpayers about their rights and responsibilities. We represent individuals in tax disputes with the IRS. We also engage in advocacy efforts to resolve systemic problems which affect low income, and ESL taxpayers.
The Economic Justice group handles a wide variety of cases in administrative forums, state and federal court. The subject areas include tax, unemployment insurance benefits and employment law, consumer law and fraud, elder law and access to medical care and services, and representation of community groups in land use and environmental justice issues. The Intake Paralegal will be involved in various aspects of the work, including contacting the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to resolve minor issues with client filings, as well as obtaining transcripts of account, reviewing, and organizing taxpayer records (both hardcopy and electronic). The Intake Paralegal may also be asked to perform off-site intake.
Experience and Qualifications
Intake Paralegals duties include:
• conducting screenings of clients including demographic and eligibility determinations;
• coordinating follow-up services including appointments, referrals, client correspondence;
• providing information, referrals and advice under the supervision of an attorney;
• opening, closing, and maintaining client files;
• translating and using language assistance resources;
• assisting with client-related matters including sending correspondence; and
• entering and tracking information in electronic formats, and running reports.
• experience working with a diverse low-income population; and ability to identify client’s needs quickly and accurately;
• excellent computer skills;
• excellent writing and communication skills;
• prior relevant experience or post high school education;
• experience entering and tracking information in electronic formats;
• proficiency in Microsoft Suite; and
• excellent organizational skills.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include excellent health and dental insurance, an employer contribution to a pre-tax 403(b) pension plan, and generous leave time.
To apply for the position send a cover letter, resume, names of three references, and one recent writing sample via e-mail to: Sandra Sanchez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The e-mail should include “Intake Paralegal Tax and Economic Justice Unit” in the subject line.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls.
Bronx Legal Services is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, people over 40, and gay, lesbian, and transgender people are all welcome and encouraged to apply.
Benefits include excellent health and dental insurance, an employer contribution to a pre-tax 403(b) pension plan, and generous leave time.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, names of three references, and one recent writing sample via e-mail to: Sandra Sanchez at email@example.com. The e-mail should include “Intake Paralegal Tax and Economic Justice Unit” in the subject line.
Position available: immediate; please review full job notice for position requirements, experience and qualifications.