The Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
The Senior GIS Technician is responsible for supporting GIS-based systems architecture (in-house server and cloud-based) projects and services under the Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) team in IT. The Technician position joins SDI in designing, launching, and maintaining geospatial applications, spatial data management platforms and web map services. SDI is the central GIS support unit for the organization, supporting a large network of GIS practitioners that are leveraging a diverse portfolio of geospatial applications for conservation and preserve management, monitoring solutions, and emerging geospatial technologies across a wide array of scales and geographies. TNC has a robust and active GIS community with over 1,300 staff who use GIS full or part time, including scientists, analysts, cartographers and data managers. As a geospatial technology specialist, the Architect will support this community by enhancing the reliability, availability, and performance of GIS software, products, and services. Essential Functions include:
Operational Support: Responsible for 40+ server and instance-based GIS systems deployed within TNC’s distributed global field network infrastructure and the cloud. Tasks include server installation/configuration, upgrading, support of operating system and GIS services, maintenance, monitoring and backup/recovery. This position works closely with Principal GIS Architect staff to define, develop and deploy spatial data technology in support of TNC’s shared conservation agenda across the organization. The Technician ensures that Dell hardware, operating systems, applications, services, backup, security and related practices are meeting SLAs and adheres to IT best practices and TNC values.
Technical Implementation: This position will be responsible for cloud-based, geospatial system design and implementation of conservation-based solutions according to system requirements following TNC’s methodology and development of best practices. This includes familiarity with database schema, cloud infrastructure, and migrating on-premise servers to the cloud. The Technician will also be involved in specific GIS projects with field staff, implementing and supporting online database management, spatial analyses, and monitoring efforts.
Help Desk Escalations: The Technician will provide Tier 2 support for spatial data systems, escalating to Principal GIS Architect as necessary, and acts as Tier 3 support for Global Network Operations staff. This support includes end user issues and troubleshooting. Essential systems administration will be conducted using similar procedures and techniques as used with existing field Windows servers, and will follow established technology SOPs.
• Bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field and/or combined equivalent of education and experience.
• 5 years of experience as a business or technical profession in Information Technology or a related field.
• Experience in defining and documenting complex systems requirements.
• Experience in communicating effectively with internal and external audiences.
Desired Skills & Experience
• Junior level database administration skills (db backups, db cloning, user management/privileges, patching) of SQL Server required, PostGreSQL experience a plus
• Experience deploying, maintaining, administering: Windows Server 2008/2012, Internet Information Services (IIS), Windows Active Directory
• Experience deploying/maintaining: (Dell PowerEdge servers, Dell OpenManage software, iDRAC) or equivalent
• Knowledge and experience supporting Remote Desktop Services and Virtualization Windows Hyper-V
• Well versed in technology best practices, and an ability to adapt them to TNC’s organizational needs and culture
• Experience with SQL and in one of the following disciplines: web applications programming, geographical information or spatial information systems, data modeling, PL/SQL, SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, C# or UNIX
• Master’s degree preferred
• Experience with cloud services from multiple cloud vendors
• Experience in a global organization
• Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated
• Strong interest in natural sciences and conservation
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, please visit www.nature.org/careers and search for job ID# 47724 in the keyword search. Deadline to apply is 11:59 PM EST June 28, 2019. The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
The Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest…