Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Chief Operations and Development Officer reports to the Executive Director and serves as an integral member of the senior leadership team. S/he will be accountable for successful implementation of organizational operations, financial management strategy and contribute to the development of the organization’s strategic goals. S/he will be responsible for developing and implementing more policies and procedures to improve organizational efficiency and effectiveness. S/he will work closely with the Executive Director to plan, organize and implement public and private fundraising initiatives.
About Workforce Professionals Training Institute
WPTI’s mission is to increase the effectiveness of people, programs, and organizations that are committed to generating pathways out of poverty through employment. Our three-tiered approach strengthens capacity at all levels of the workforce development system.
- Professional Training: Develop the skills and careers of practitioners
- Organizational Consulting: Maximize productivity of programs and teams
- Systems Building: Create linkages, foster research and influence funding and best practice priorities
Since its founding in 2004, WPTI has become the preeminent non-profit training and technical assistance intermediary for New York City’s workforce development community. The organization has trained over 9,000 workforce practitioners from over 350 organizations that collectively serve over 500,000 jobseekers. As a standalone, non-political organization, WPTI provides an inclusive bridge among providers, funders and government agencies that contribute to building NYC’s workforce.
Drawing on well refined resources and relationships, WPTI combines the expertise of highly experienced workforce professionals, direct employer input, academic research, labor market information, and interactive adult learning principles to create high-quality curricula, impactful consulting frameworks, and useful resources for the field.
- Enhance the effectiveness and reputation of WPTI’s service to the field of workforce development. Act as a thought partner with the Executive Director and leadership team to develop and advance WPTI’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
- Lead the budget development process and participate in strategic planning, develop an operating plan to support the organization and maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, execute on the identified strategic priorities/goals of WPTI.
- Build a strong administrative/operational infrastructure, effectively linking Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Facilities management and Communications.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive Marketing and Communications strategy.
- Promote a culture of high performance, inclusivity and continuous improvement that values learning, commitment to quality and innovation.
- Ensure that all staff members receive timely and appropriate training and professional development.
- Oversee performance management process.
- Establish and track metrics and targets for operations and development activities.
- Provide strategic direction to the Executive Director and the Board, to ensure the organization’s short and long term financial health and sustainability.
- Oversee the planning and production of F’Y organizational and program budgets as well as forecasts in alignment with financial goals and priorities, as determined in partnership with the leadership team and Fund for the City of New York.
- Develop a short and long term fiscal model for the organization, that ensures sustainability over time.
- Manage day-to-day operations, including fiscal controls and the achievement of annual budgets approved by the board.
- Work regularly with program leaders and outsourced consultant to collaboratively develop and monitor strategic goals and priorities.
- Effectively communicate with Members of the Board to articulate the organization’s financial position, and ramifications of short and long-term decisions.
- Define and produce timely and accurate financial reports as a basis for organizational analysis and decision making.
- Oversee HR function in partnership with Fund for the City of New York and supervise operations and development team.
- Determine what additional HR capacity is necessary to meet challenges of a growing staff.
- Review and propose necessary changes to salary structure of organization.
- Review and track changes to employee fringe benefits; as needed.
- Review performance evaluation process to ensure organizational and program goals are being met.
- Identify and execute strategic HR goals and plans.
Information Technology and Facilities:
- Work in partnership with Day One to oversee facilities and logistics management.
- Oversee vendor management, office administration, space planning and disaster planning.
- Oversee all information technology function including external vendors.
- Oversee CRM system and ensure optimal use for business analysis, program improvements, efficiency and standardization.
- Work closely with IT vendors to create a technology strategy that is in alignment with organizational priorities.
- Research and develop tools and resources to leverage technological systems.
- Work closely with Executive Director and Strategic Growth Committee to develop and execute fundraising plan.
- Work with leadership team to plan and execute earned revenues strategy.
- Analyze fundraising and earned revenue data to inform strategic growth decisions and fundraising plans.
- Provide detailed reports about fundraising progress to the Executive Director, leadership team and board of directors as requested.
- Oversee planning and execution of annual fundraising and friendraiser events.
- Nurture relationships with and increase support from current funders.
- Develop, maintain, and grow close working relationships with the philanthropic community.
- Oversee all communications plan activities and building external relationships with customers, partners, funders and stakeholders.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan.
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate.
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, brochures and our website.
- Lead vendors and staff responsible for WPTI’s website administration and coordination.
- Coordinate webpage maintenance – ensure that new and consistent information (resources, articles, stories, events and trainings) is posted regularly.
- Master’s degree in related discipline preferred; candidates with a Bachelor’s degree and additional training and job experience may be considered.
- A minimum of 5-7 years’ experience.
- Strong leadership skills that emphasize collaboration, team-building and high standards.
- Strong managerial, mentoring, and coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to represent the organization externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies.
- Ability to multi-task and navigate in a fast-paced, outcomes-driven and entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to be self-reliant, energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive.
- Ability to positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in working in a small, non-profit environment.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of strategic planning, organizational growth and development, long term budgeting, risk planning and operations.
- Strong program/team management skills managing complex, multi-faceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth.
- Knowledge of the workforce development system strongly preferred.
- Strong relationship builder with the ability find common ground, build consensus and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
- Proven track record of organization or program management, with acute organizational, analytical, judgement and creative problem-solving skills.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, and a 401(K) match.
We provide a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, and a 401(K) match.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required