Job Title: Executive & Administrative Associate
Reports To: Associate Director, Finance & Operations
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Full-time, Non-exempt, benefits eligible (medical, dental and vision)
GSA Network is guided by our vision of full equality and social justice for all LGBTQ people. We have developed a model of grassroots organizing that trains youth activists to understand and challenge multiple systems of oppression, in order to develop LGBTQ and allied leaders with a vision for broad social justice. Grounded in this model, GSA Network is building the GSA movement by providing resources, training, and grassroots organizing support to GSA clubs working to educate schools about LGBT issues and change public policy as well as to emerging GSA Networks in states around the U.S. As leader of the National Association of GSA Networks we bring together youth and adult leaders from state and regional GSA Networks to share best practices for GSA organizing. As a national leader in the LGBT, safe schools, and education justice movements, this is an exciting time for GSA Network as we expand our impact in California and nationally and grow our team. You can learn more about our work at www.gsanetwork.org.
Under the supervision of the Associate Director, Finance & Operations, the Executive & Administrative Associate position will provide administrative support to ensure efficient operation of the organization. The position will support directors and employees through a variety of tasks related to organizational administration, financial administration and development. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an ability to effectively communicate via phone and email; ensure that all tasks/projects are completed accurately and delivered with high quality and in a timely manner; rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish tasks/projects; and possess a wide degree of creativity and latitude.
Essential Duties and Functions
(The following is used as a partial description and is not restrictive as to duties required.)
Organizational Administration (35%)
- Provide front-desk receptionist coverage at the Oakland office between 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Ensure GSA Network main phone line and info@ email address are answered and responded to
- Maintain tidiness in the Oakland office common areas, conference rooms, kitchen and storage/copier room
- Receive and sort daily mail and deliveries
- Oversee office equipment, supplies and materials for the Oakland office and remote offices/staff
- Coordinate timely mailing of annual resources to GSA Network Clubs, including mail merge for labels and stuffing packets
Executive Support (35%)
- Manage and maintain Executive team schedules
- Research, schedule and book travel for members of the Executive team
- Support the Executive team with credit card reconciliation and reimbursements
- Prepare invoices, reports, memos, letters, and other documents, using word processing, spreadsheet, database, or presentation software
- Logistical support to the GSA Network Board of Directors, including travel arrangements, and venue confirmation (includes some weekends)
Financial Administration (15%)
- Support compliance with GSA Network’s Financial Policies
- Maintain and organize financial records (electronic and paper)
- Process accounts payable/accounts receivable and weekly bank deposits
- Aid in the annual audit process
- Ensure data integrity of GSA Network’s donor database, foundation contacts, and grant submissions
- Record and ensure data integrity of contributions made to the organization from all sources
- Scan and file award letters and grant agreements
- Produce donor acknowledgement letters on an ongoing basis
- Provide support to Development and Communications Director to carry out annual fundraising campaigns and donor newsletters by coordinating production of print collateral and direct mailings from start to finish
Time and Task Management
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to manage up and prioritize work
- High level of accuracy with data entry, including financial information
- Ability to organize and complete tasks/projects with high level of accuracy and in a timely manner
- Ability to work well independently and in a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to communicate effectively in English via phone and email
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality without exception
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically with Word and Excel
- Willingness and ability to quickly master additional software
Values and Characteristics
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of different racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, religious, sexual, gender, and generational backgrounds
- Think and act quickly and strategically
- Flexibility to pivot for unanticipated needs, adapt to new situations and environments and remain calm and graceful under pressure
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, anti-oppression work, youth leadership and LGBTQ+ rights
- Must be able to manually operate and use a computer, phone and other office equipment.
- Must be able to work at a desk for a prolonged period of time
- Must be able to communicate clearly in English in complex contexts (e.g., negotiations)
- Must be able to able to read documents, enter and review data, and route mail to staff
- Ability to: use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; lift and/or move up to 25 pounds; and see close, at a distance, and adjust focus.
- Must be able to move around the office to route internal and external communications
- Finger dexterity sufficient for typing, filing, handling records, and other office equipment.
- Must be able to bend to access files and materials at floor level and use stool to reach materials on high shelving.
Apply via BambooHR at gsanetwork.org with a Cover Letter and Resume as a combined PDF. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis with a start date no later than March 1, 2020, if not sooner.
Equal Opportunity Employer
GSA Network is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from youth, people of color, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and people with disabilities.