7620 Little River Turnpike
Position: Part Time Virginia High School Program Coordinator
Location: Fairfax County, Virginia
Area of Focus: Education, Youth Development
Salary: $16 per hour/ 15-20 hours per week
Type: Part Time
Asian American LEAD’s mission is to support low-income and underserved Asian Pacific American youth with educational empowerment, identity development, and leadership opportunities through after-school, summer, and mentoring programs. For more information, please visit our web site at www.aalead.org.
Position Description: The Part Time VA High School Program Coordinator will develop curriculum and implement after-school programming and some weekend field trips and events focused on helping students grow in AALEAD’s three outcome areas: Educational Empowerment, Leadership, and Identity.
The Part Time VA High School Program Coordinator will:
- Serve youth in grades 9-12 once a week (program time 3:00 - 5:00 pm)
- Have administrative hours in the VA office - curriculum development, data tracking, and work plans
- Attend monthly team meetings
- Attend limited special events occurring on weekends.
This position requires travel to Annandale, VA and Washington DC for meetings and program implementation. The Part Time VA High School Program Coordinator will report to the VA Programs Manager.
The Part Time VA High School Program Coordinator is responsible for the following duties:
- Conduct after-school programming one day per week at one Fairfax County high school located in Annandale, Virginia
- Develop and implement curriculum focused on helping youth grow in AALEAD’s three outcome areas: educational empowerment, identity development, and leadership opportunities
- Independently lead after school programming and supervise youth in grades 9-12
- Recruit youth and track participant data in AALEAD’s database
- Achieve AALEAD and grant-required goals and maintain program documentation
- Track program spending and maintain a budget
- Support the team with special events and field trips
- Manage school relationships including direct communication with school liaisons
- Assist with additional tasks as needed
- BA/BS in education, social work, liberal arts, or related field preferred
- Direct experience working with youth, teaching, or facilitating workshops
- Solid oral and written communication skills (public speaking experience preferred)
- Sensitivity to the needs of immigrant children and families
- Organized and attentive to details
- Ability to work a flexible schedule with program implementation occurring once a week (in the afternoon)
- Fluency in an Asian language is preferred
- Must pass background check and participate in required trainings
- This position requires regular travel to and from the AALEAD office in Annandale, VA to the program site; reliable transportation is recommended
Asian American LEAD provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, marital status, disability, military/veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, familial status, or genetic information, or other non-merit factor.
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be fluent in English
Proficiency in an Asian language is preferred
Minimum Education Required