Youth & Farm Stand Coordinator - Community Food Action
Part Time Contract
Details: The pay rate for this position starts at $18/hour. The Coordinator is expected to start the week of June 18th at the latest.
1512 Townsend Ave.
New Settlement Apartments
About New Settlement and Community Food Action:
New Settlement Apartments is a settlement house based in the Mt. Eden community of the Southwest Bronx, with a 27-year demonstrated commitment to increasing preparedness and access to safe and affordable housing, high-quality public and post-secondary education, expanding opportunities for healthy and active living, and fair employment. Grounded in its commitment to affordable housing and a thriving neighborhood, New Settlement Apartments collaborates with community residents and develops partnerships to create services and opportunities that celebrate the inherent dignity and potential of individuals and families.
Community Food Action takes a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach to food justice in our neighborhood. We embed hands-on food education into local institutions, develop community leadership, and create opportunities to grow, purchase, eat and compost good food. We aim to model community-responsive solutions to inequities in the food system.
Position Outcomes and Sample Tasks
The 170 Farm Stand is safe for staff and customers, is set up according to high standards and regulations, and operates according to schedule. The Farm Stand meets goals around sales, number of customers, revenue, and outcomes.
· Manage operations from July to November including set up, merchandising, sales, and breakdown - according to schedule
· Maintain equipment and supplies necessary to operations
· Accurately complete and maintain paperwork and records, maintain strict oversight of market revenue, and track indicators.
· Coordinate ordering and pricing of products
· Coordinate appropriate licensing and registration for the 170 Farm Stand
170 Farm Stand team is cultivated through meaningful work, learning, and leadership development. The Youth Leaders provide excellent customer service, are responsive to the needs of customers, and create an inclusive, welcoming public space.
· Supervise Youth Leaders, guiding them as they receive on-the-job training in customer service and merchandising and educating them about Farm Stand mission and products
· Coordinate the recruitment, hiring, and ongoing training of Youth Leaders
· Utilize positive behavior management techniques through managing timecards, standards charts, and administering straight talk
· Assist Director with creating and update business plan, manuals, policies, and procedures
Emerging leaders are engaged in personal and social change through the avenue of food.
· Compile and implement a social justice curriculum that incorporates popular education techniques, political education, and youth leadership.
· Facilitate Food Justice Fridays with the Youth Leaders
· Participate in the Youth Food Justice Network
· Plan and facilitate events, workshops and series, as needed. Coordinate projects with partners.
Activities are tracked and success is monitored to ensure that projected outputs and outcomes are achieved; adjust accordingly. Assist program in assessing needs, opportunities and threats.
· Salesforce data entry
· Assist Director with implementing debriefs, surveys, interviews, and focus groups
Community members and partners are engaged through outreach and communication so that they know our work and how to connect with it.
· Develop outreach and promotional materials
· Conduct and update outreach plan and contact lists for youth programs and 170 Farm Stand
· Train and oversee Youth Leaders in conducting Farm Stand outreach
· Plan and facilitate presentations, workshops, and tabling
· Create content for website, e-newsletter, and social media.
Carry out program and organizational administrative tasks and procedures so that program activities are planned, resourced, and executed according to high standards.
· Contribute to development of program timeline and work plans for own activities
· Manage expenses and reimbursement
Education and Experience:
· Experience working in or engaging with a low-income community-based setting required
· Minimum 1-3 years’ experience working with high school aged youth in formal settings required; experience being primary staff responsible for youth preferred
· Experience in community engagement through workshops, presentations, and street outreach is preferred
· Undergraduate coursework or degree in relevant field a plus
Preferred Competencies include:
· Knowledge of or enthusiasm about food issues as related to healthy living and restoring food sovereignty to communities strongly preferred; personal experience facing the negative aspects of the food system a plus.
· Committed to principals of racial, social, and economic justice.
· Bilingual English/Spanish speaker strongly preferred
· Understanding, enthusiasm about, and ability to communicate the benefits of seasonal eating for personal health, environmental justice, and society.
· Knowledge or experience with Popular Education and political education theories a plus
· Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to work well with a wide variety of individuals, including youth and seniors, especially in a public setting
· Excellent attention to detail and organizational ability required.
· Experience securely handling large sums of cash or coupons is a plus.
· Ability to multitask, prioritize, problem solve and be flexible
· Solid written communication skills
· Bronx or Upper Manhattan native or resident preferred
· Physical Requirements: The position requires working outdoors in all weather conditions, standing and walking for extended periods, and carrying heavy and bulky items
· Intermediate computer skills including Microsoft Office and web-based applications.
This paid position is part-time and fluctuates according to work load. The 170 Farm Stand coincides with the regional growing season (July - November). The Coordinator should expect to work approximately 25 hours/week during the Farm Stand season and 10 hours/week off season. The Farm Stand’s hours of operation are Wednesdays from 2:30 to 6:30pm.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual English/Spanish speaker strongly preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a pdf of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Youth & Farm Stand Coordinator Application: YOUR LAST NAME". EEO/AA