100 Wall Street
The Programs Department plays a critical role in achieving CMMB’s strategy around improving the lives of women and children, by leading the provision of high quality programs focused on children’s and mothers’ health, and particularly in the development and implementation of our CHAMPS model. This team is also responsible for generating revenue from and partnering effectively with government(s), major foundations, and other major donors, and will help to position and enhance CMMB’s technical capacity and reputation in the field of global healthcare.
CMMB has been working in Kenya for almost 15 years. CMMB works to ensure that the most vulnerable populations, especially mothers and children, have access to quality services in health care, health promotion and illness prevention.
You are responsible for the overall leadership and management of the CMMB Kenya country portfolio. CMMB’s current portfolio in Kenya includes: CMMB’s CHAMPS programs and a variety of HIV/AIDS focused programs, which are funded from bilateral and multilateral grants/contracts, contributions from private individuals and institutions, Volunteers, and gifts-in-kind of medical supplies.
You must be an innovative thinker, ready to empower staff to achieve CMMB corporate strategic goals, and lead change initiatives which ensure that CMMB maximizes its mission and vision. You will direct the implementation of all aspects of CMMB Kenya’s programs, in partnership with the global staff of CMMB, ensuring the quality and impact of its health program in Kenya. You must be well-versed in office repositioning and able to oversee changes to program operations, finance, and human resources.
In this position, you will report to the Senior Vice President, Programs and Volunteers, based in CMMB’s headquarters in New York City, and receives technical and other support from additional U.S.-based staff and teams. As CMMB’s representative in-country, you have overall responsibility and accountability for all of CMMB’s programs, finances, assets and legal standing in Kenya.
Leadership, Representation and Networking
- Foster the development of an organizational culture of excellence and teamwork, focusing on effective strategy execution, high impact programming and strong accountability, as well as innovation, continuous learning and institutional improvement.
- Cultivate and motivate staff and model teamwork, transparency, and excellent communication.
- Lead and model the central tenets of CMMB’s vision and mission and CMMB’s core values (collaboration, love, excellence and respect) in all aspects of institutional operation, from staff interactions to program implementation, and from partner collaborations to the interaction with beneficiaries.
- Lead a strong and effective Senior Management Team (SMT) to oversee the Country Office’s program and operations and invests time and effort in their development as leaders. Willing to make hard decisions in a timely and relevant manner.
- Lead the implementation of strategic initiatives and mentor staff through organizational change.
- Network with all major donors and members of the international health community to raise CMMB’s visibility and value.
- Maintain CMMB’s membership and participation in formal/informal development and humanitarian assistance forums within the international donor and NGO community. This will involve collaboration with Government, at both National and County levels, multilateral donors, private sector, and other NGOs.
Programmatic and Technical Management
- Guide development of CMMB Kenya multi-year program strategy and direct implementation of these plans.
- Ensure that the technical aspects of all programs are of the highest quality, calling upon technical resources available within CMMB Global.
- Lead the overall CHAMPS implementation, project management, and monitoring and evaluation processes in Kenya. Work closely with CMMB Headquarters in developing and implementing CHAMPS sites in Kenya, supporting their development with detailed proposals with an eye on ensuring high-quality program logic that can be feasibly delivered within proposed local context, including maximizing integration with governmental, multilateral, and bilateral and other grant portfolios, as possible.
- Ensure that CMMB-managed health programs have the appropriate technical staff to lead programmatic activities, overseeing program staff and providing technical and program management input, as appropriate.
- Coordinate with partners and lead, guide and manage CMMB in-country staff to ensure programs meet their project goals, objectives and targets.
- Ensure consistent program monitoring and evaluation activities, including necessary site visits, to measure and report, on a timely basis, project and program outcomes. Share success stories with CMMB globally for communications purposes.
- Manage volunteer placements and programmatic grants, as well as any pharmaceutical donations.
- Ensure Monitoring and Evaluation processes are implemented to provide measurement of achievement and progress toward project goals.
- Ensure the timely submission of well-prepared annual program plans and budgets and annual reports.
- Raise the profile of CMMB through effective marketing materials and outreach.
- Develop partnership relationships and ensure the organization has good business intelligence related to funding opportunities.
- Develop new program and funding opportunities for CMMB at the country level and/or regionally in conjunction with Senior Vice President, Programs and Volunteers, and the Director of Business Development. This includes ensuring proper approval, timely submission of creative and well-written proposals that are compatible with CMMB’s strategic direction and Country Office priorities.
- Ensure programmatic successes are documented for individual and institutional donor fundraising purposes.
- Guide development of CMMB Kenya business development plans and direct implementation of these plans.
Human Resources Management
- Provide leadership of all country operations, establishing a cohesive management team and clear reporting roles for all levels of program and staff management.
- In collaboration with HQ Human Resources VP, design and implement a coherent organizational structure that is consistent with CMMB’s practices and appropriate to program needs.
- Support, encourage and help build up the capacity of the coordinators and managers to effectively execute CMMB Kenya’s program strategies.
- Ensure CMMB Kenya operates in compliance with local labor laws and requirements.
- Demonstrate sound stewardship and ensure strong financial management and protection of the organization’s assets.
- Ensure the prudent use of donor resources, ensuring all expenditures comply with rules and regulations.
- With the assistance of the Finance Team, ensure that systems are in place for the proper control of assets, funds, equipment, property and facilities. Ensure that all budgets are tracked consistently and financial reports are accurate and timely, consistent with donor requirements. Identify cost-savings, where feasible, and plan strategically for financial resource use.
- Participate in audits.
Safety & Security
- Stay current on the general security challenges in-country and daily security status of our staff, programs and the operational areas where we implement our programs.
- Maintain a proactive position in coordinating closely with the appropriate local security network and ensuring security and safety protocols are maintained in the country office, thus ensuring the security of staff, Volunteers, visitors and physical assets.
- Coordinate closely on security related needs and issues and keeps the SVP Programs well informed.
- You have a master’s degree in Public Health, International Development or similar development-related subject.
- You have at least 8-10 years of work experience out of which at least 5 years in senior management positions successfully leading large operations involving internal and external representation, donor relations, fundraising, and leadership of high performing teams.
- You have proven track record of working in Kenya, partnering with government agencies, NGOs and civil society organizations.
- You have demonstrated expertise in managing Maternal and Child Health Projects, and health system strengthening projects, WASH/nutrition, and/or HIV/AIDS programs.
- Your program management, implementation, fundraising, monitoring and evaluation skills are strong and put you as respected leader in this area
- You believe in people and have the demonstrated track record of developing others, building and leading effective teams to deliver mission and program results.
- You have successful track record of managing programs and projects funded by major US Government international development agencies (e.g. USAID and CDC) and other international donors (e.g. European Union, DfID, World Bank, WHO, UNICEF).
- You have strong program development planning, writing and coordination skills and demonstrated experience in writing winning proposals in MCH,
- You have the ability for building and maintaining productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders.
- You’re a timely and effective communicator with superior presentation skills and proven skills building
- You are comfortable working for a faith-based organization.
- You must be authorized to work in Kenya.
- You believe in CMMB, where we’re going, and what we can do together to achieve Healthier Lives Worldwide.
Minimum Education Required