Serving rural Oregon for over 27 years, the RARE AmeriCorps Program builds the capacity of rural communities to improve their economic, social, and environmental conditions, through the assistance of trained graduate-level members who live and work in communities for 11 months. Our members assist communities and agencies in the development and implementation of plans for achieving a sustainable natural resource base and improving rural economic conditions while gaining community building and leadership skills.
We are looking for enthusiastic candidates with a strong desire to utilize and develop interpersonal skills for community outreach and group facilitation, serve rural, and make a difference!
· Ability to work through conflict and maintain good relationships
· Effective teamwork
· Ability to remain organized and on-track with projects and processes
· Technical skills, including data collection, analysis, and representation; large document creation; grant writing; GIS; website development and/or policy analysis
· Strong written, verbal, and graphic communication ability
· Service motivation – volunteerism and service to community
· Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups of people
· Commitment to rural community development
Qualifications: RARE AmeriCorps members are required to be either U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents. In addition, you will need to hold a bachelor's degree and demonstrate applied community experience as well as coursework or equivalent experience in three or more of the following areas: planning or statistical analysis, planning or economic theory, project management, community or economic development, environmental planning, geographic information systems and grant writing. More information about eligibility and our selection process.
RARE AmeriCorps projects typically fall into three broad categories:
Community and Economic Development
Environmental and Sustainability Planning
Community Food Security/Food Systems
Placements will be in various rural communities across Oregon. More information on current members. Serve rural for a better you and a greater us!
Term of service: September 2021 - July 2022
The deadline to apply is 5pm on Friday, April 23rd.
The RARE AmeriCorps Program is committed to an ongoing learning process around privilege, power, inequality and systems of oppression. RARE is working towards making our program welcoming to, inclusive of, and accessible to communities who are under-represented as planners and systems thinkers in Oregon, including women, Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC), LGBTQIA+ individuals, low-income individuals and immigrants.
Serving rural Oregon for over 27 years, the RARE AmeriCorps Program builds the capacity of rural communities to improve their economic, social, and environmental conditions, through the assistance of trained graduate-level…
Please complete the following steps:
Step 1: View the RARE Member Application Preview and collect your application materials. This document is a preview of the information you will submit using the link provided in Step 4.
Step 2: Complete the five essay questions listed below in a single document, carefully labeling each question. Save your response as a PDF with the following name: LastName_part_ap_21-22_essay. Submit your complete essay response document within the Qualtrics application.
1. Please tell us how participation in the RARE AmeriCorps Program will help you reach your short and long term personal and professional goals. (word limit: 500)
2. Please tell us how your background and values will contribute to the community that you will serve and to the RARE AmeriCorps Program as a whole. (word limit: 500)
3. Please describe your perspectives on living/working in a rural community. (word limit: 250)
4. Please briefly state what you view as your most significant accomplishment. (word limit: 250)
5. Please complete the following statement: “People may be surprised when they learn that I…” (word limit 250)
Step 3: Save your professional resume as a PDF with the following name: LastName_part_ap_21-22_resume. Submit your professional resume as a file upload within the Qualtrics application.
Step 4: Submit your final application using the link to Qualtrics below. When you have gathered all your materials, follow the link below to input all your information. Important: you will NOT be able to save your application and return later. You must input and submit everything in one sitting, so please be sure to have all your materials assembled before you begin.
Please remember that we will only consider complete applications with all application components.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact us at:
Phone 541-632-3147 or
RARE AmeriCorps Program placements are contingent on availability of program funding from AmeriCorps.
Please complete the following steps:
Step 1: View the RARE Member Application Preview and collect your application materials. This document is a…