Details: $15 p/hr
128 Pierrepont Street
Founded in 1863, BHS is a nationally recognized urban history center, comprised of a museum; scholarly research library; and educational center dedicated to preserving and encouraging the study of Brooklyn's extraordinary 400-year history. The mission of the Brooklyn Historical Society (BHS) is to connect the past to the present and make the vibrant history of Brooklyn tangible, relevant, and meaningful for today’s diverse communities, and for generations to come.
Our work is strengthened by the wide range of perspectives, positionalities, skills and experiences of our present and future staff. We are dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of any mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.
Position: Facilities Assistant-Part Time
The Facilities Assistant reports to the BHS Facilities and Building Coordinators. The primary responsibility of this position is to assist with the maintenance and operation of BHS’ historic landmark building at 128 Pierrepont Street and our annex location at 55 Water St, Empire Stores.
Wage: $15.00 per Hour Hours: 15 - 30 hours per week
- Assist with housekeeping, sanitation, and environmental conditions throughout the facility, including the exterior and pedestrian sidewalks.
- Follow weekly schedule of cleaning priorities.
- Maintain all floors and stairwells, including vacuuming, mopping, stripping, buffing, shampooing carpet; operate necessary equipment.
- Dust and clean woodwork, desktops, walls, work surfaces, windows, office equipment, staff kitchen, etc.
- Inventory management for all housekeeping supplies
- Learn proper use of equipment and materials to avoid harming museum artifacts and sensitive architectural fixtures.
- Assist with performance of daily physical tasks such as moving office furniture and equipment.
- Assist and complete event and rental set-up as required.
- Perform general repairs and maintenance to building. Inform supervisor of needed supplies. Organize supplies inventory and assist with maintaining equipment.
- Assist with overseeing work done by outside contractors.
- Maintaining the building during events and/or rentals that can start as early as 6:00am and can run through 2:00am.
- Assist with snow removal and other seasonal maintenance issues.
- Commute between the institution’s two locations as scheduled or as needed.
- Assist with maintaining and operating facility mechanical systems; participate in ongoing training as needed.
- Assist with installation and maintenance of exhibitions as needed.
- Assist Facilities and Buildings Coordinator with other responsibilities as they may occur.
- High School Diploma or GED; or 5+ years of work related experience and/or training.
- Experience in custodian, housekeeping, or maintenance field preferred.
- Museum or Landmark building experience a plus.
- Driver’s License a plus but not mandatory.
- Ability to lift 20+ pounds.
Level of Language Proficiency
Command of English language. Spanish and Russian a plus.
Minimum Education Required