Vital Strategies, based in New York City, is an international public health organization. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities. Our specific programs include road safety, obesity prevention, tobacco control, and activities to strengthen public health data systems and the use of public health data to guide policy and decision-making. Activities are based in low and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Special Assistant with Vital Strategies’ Policy, Advocacy and Communication (PAC) division. This position is ideal for someone who wants a public health career but is willing to do important organizational and administrative work as part of their career growth. We have a smart and dedicated team at Vital Strategies. And we are committed to promoting people from within.
The PAC division is engaged in both programmatic and external communication work and we are passionate about what we do. This is a full-time position based in New York City. Applicants must possess a valid work permit to work in New York City.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Policy Advocacy and Communication, the Special Assistant will perform a mix of administrative, writing and organizing responsibilities. Duties include the following:
- Work closely with the Senior Vice President, assisting her on all tasks needed, often handling sensitive information
- Help with the Senior Vice President’s calendar, help to schedule and organize meetings and events, sometimes taking notes and helping to synthesize key action items, follow-up and tracking needed for their progress and completion
- Provide light touch assistance with travel arrangements for the PAC team, liaising with our travel agency (which does the leg work) and facilitating approvals as needed
- Help to craft and update documents as needed
- Interact with internal and external stakeholders
- Participate in meetings, learning about the wide variety of programs, which is an opportunity to learn strategy and tactics
- Draft PowerPoint presentations, concept notes, correspondence as needed
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Senior Vice President
Qualifications and Skill Set
- Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 2 years of work experience
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to anticipate issues, think on your feet and use loads of common sense
- Superior writing, communication, listening skills
- Excellent PowerPoint skills. Excel skills are a plus
- Interest in current affairs and public health
- Ability to travel as needed. This will not be a significant part of the job, though you will have to travel on occasion
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where Vital Strategies pays generously towards the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 15 paid vacation days (rising to 20 paid vacation days from fourth year of service and 25 from seventh year onwards), 13 paid federal holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; paid sick days; retirement savings plan; commuter benefits and basic life and personal accident insurance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send CV and a cover letter, including salary expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position applied for in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: August 26, 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.