The Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia (The Chamber) brings area businesses and civic leaders together to promote growth and create opportunity in our region. Our members represent eleven counties, three states, and roughly 600,000 employees from thousands of member companies and organizations. We advocate for regional development, business-friendly public policies, and economic prosperity. We support our members with practical, inspiring programs, resources, and events. And all that we do serves one clear, bold goal: to make Greater Philadelphia a great place for good business.
We are currently seeking a Payroll Specialist as part of our 4-person Finance team. The position will report to the Director of Finance. The position will also assist the Controller and will serve as a backup for the Accounting Coordinator in the department.
Primary Position Purpose
The Payroll Specialist is a critical part of the Chamber team; this individual will perform the full-cycle payroll function, along with some accounting and human resources duties, and will serve as an internal resource to colleagues.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Main contact and point person for ADP: responsible for the set-up, function and utilization of ADP web-based system including contract pricing and billing issues; responsible for the research, set up and implementation of new and current regulations and taxation grids for earnings and deduction codes in ADP;
- Prepare semi-monthly payroll for the Chamber and several of its affiliates;
- Monitor federal, state, and local payroll and unemployment taxes; track and report wage garnishment and levy’s, to maintain compliance; Integrate data from external sites (time management, Health benefits and Transportation benefits) into ADP for accurate payroll deductions;
- Maintain neat and orderly payroll files and run reports from ADP for Finance and HR Director;
- Administrator for Transit Check program, Sporting Club, WageWorks (FSA), United Way, My Benefits Advisor (health and dental) including updating various websites, reconciling bills and submitting check requests;
- Administer the following Chamber programs: 401k, COBRA and Time Management;
- Coordinate annual Workman’s Comp Audit with Insurance company and annual 401k audit with Chamber auditors;
- Plan orientations for new colleagues; perform orientation for payroll and benefits; order new hire materials including business cards, workstation inserts and magnetic name badges.
- Compile and supply exit benefit information for terminating employees;
- Process Annual 1099’s for the Chamber and Affiliates;
- Reconcile monthly trial balance of payroll withholding and benefit accounts;
- Light Accounting duties including reconciling and invoicing monthly intercompany expenses and processing cash receipts and Accounts Payable for some of the Chamber’s small affiliates;
- Other responsibilities including administering the Foundation’s scholarship program, maintaining W9 requests, handling petty cash requests, and managing the Chamber’s document storage;
- Maintain payroll and human resources files.
- Serve as backup for processing daily membership checks and assisting the Controller, Director of Finance and Director of Human Resources with general administrative tasks and special projects as requested.
Job Specifications & Requirements
- A minimum of three years of experience in a payroll function, preferably utilizing the ADP payroll platform
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, or related field
- Experience interacting with all levels of staff and earning trust and confidence
- Demonstrated organizational skills and success managing multiple priorities, projects, and deadlines in a team environment
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to perform duties with accuracy and with a high degree of professionalism, integrity and confidentiality
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic; approaches work with a sense of purpose and urgency
- PC skills and proficiency with database management systems and Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
- Knowledge of the Federal, state and local payroll tax rules and regulations
- A collaborative spirit.
Work Conditions/Physical Demands
The Payroll Specialist works in a typical office environment. On a standard workday, the majority of time is spent sitting at a desk, using the computer and interacting with colleagues in internal meetings. However, occasionally this role will be required to attend Chamber events or related outside meetings. These meetings/events may take place outside of regular business hours and outside of center city Philadelphia.
The Chamber provides all the benefits of working for a mid-size business combined with the values and mission focus of a nonprofit. As part of a leading organization in the region’s business community, team members have access to a wide array of resources, connections and opportunities throughout their career with the Chamber. With 85+ employees, the Chamber is right-sized for new team members to have the support of their talented colleagues, opportunities to lead and room for personal and professional growth. The Chamber offers its employees a dynamic, fast-paced environment with competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required