Job Title: International Volunteer Co-ordinator
Reporting to: SEED Madagascar Managing Director UK
Location: SEED Madagascar London Office, W10 4LG
Contract Type: 3 days a week (part –time pro rata)
Start date: October 2018
Background to the post.
SEED Madagascar is a UK and Madagascar based registered charity working on community development and conservation projects in Madagascar (http://www.madagascar.co.uk/ ).
SEED Madagascar’s projects emphasise training, capacity building and education geared towards supporting communities to empower themselves and develop in sustainable ways, increasing local access to health care and education. A core element of our work is the management of 3 key volunteering programmes in Madagascar and working with the teams in Madagascar and London in the development, management and administration of these programmes.
On a day to day basis the International Volunteer Co-ordinator (IVC) is responsible for the Community Development (Pioneer), Conservation Research Programme and the Construction Programmes. The IVC role also has a strong focus on the research and delivery of promotional and marketing opportunities for the volunteer programmes. The workload will be demanding and varied and therefore the IVC will be expected to delegate some of the responsibilities outlined to office based interns and volunteers. The IVC will be responsible for recruiting such additional help and will be responsible for managing his/her own workload together with that of interns/volunteers to ensure that all duties of the post are accomplished.
Working within a small team in London your role is key to the success of the charity and therefore you will work closely with the Managing Director and answer directly to him.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The principal activities of the IVC include (but are not limited to):
Marketing & Publicising SEED Madagascar’s volunteering programmes
- Developing and implementing a marketing and PR strategy for the promotion of SEED Madagascar’s volunteer programmes to their core audience
- The recruitment and management of administration and communications Interns to fulfil the strategy
- Developing SEED Madagascar’s online marketing through both managing the content of volunteering section of SEED Madagascar’s website, and working with external volunteer specialists maximising the traffic to the website using a variety of online marketing tools including online advertising, Google Adwords, and social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, SEED Madagascar’s blog etc.)
- Developing new and existing collaborations with partner organisations to promote the Charity’s volunteer programmes
- Promoting SEED Madagascar’s volunteer programmes to educational institutions worldwide
- Maximising SEED Madagascar’s profile by researching and implementing new advertising and marketing opportunities
- Attending careers fairs and other events as required
All pre-departure administration relating to the Community Development (Pioneer), Conservation, Construction and English teaching programmes
- Responding to all telephone and e-mail enquiries from both potential and confirmed volunteers
- Processing all volunteer applications in accordance with the guidelines of the Charity
- Assisting volunteers with pre-departure preparations including the provision of information on projects, medical and safety issues, insurance, kit requirements, visas and travel arrangements
- Regularly reviewing, updating and amending all briefing documentation provided to volunteers and ensuring all procedural changes are implemented as directed by the Director and the Trustees of the Charity
- Liaising with the Head of Volunteering and other staff in Madagascar to ensure appropriate information transfer regarding volunteer teams
- Assisting the Director in the implementation of the Charity’s business plan, most specifically the achievement of volunteer team targets
- Recruiting, and assisting in the workload management of, volunteers working for the Charity in the UK
- Other ad-hoc projects at the request of the Director
Past volunteer communications
- Liaising with returned volunteers to obtain feedback and relay comments to staff in Madagascar to continuously improve SEED Madagascar’s volunteer programmes
- Working with the Communications and Marketing lead in Madagascar to ensure regular content on SEED Madagascar’s social networking channels, keeping returned volunteers engaged and in touch with projects
- Working with volunteer PR contacts and recently returned volunteers to promote and publicise the volunteer programmes in their own networks and in the local and national press.
- Working to improve post-placement opportunities and increase post-placement engagement.
- Empathy with SEED Madagascar’s charitable aims and a commitment to promoting the Charity’s mission, vision and values
- Meticulous administrative skills and experience of office administration procedures
- High level of attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to communicate with a wide range of different audiences
- Experience in communications and marketing, online marketing and/or social networking
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision, manage own time and work to deadlines
- Experience building and maintaining partnerships
- Excellent IT skills with a good working knowledge of spreadsheets and word processing
- Ability to manage and train a small team of volunteers and interns to assist in the role
- Excellent team player with influencing and motivational skills
- Flexible to changing circumstances
- Educated to degree level
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Experience of working with NGOs or charities
- Experience of working or volunteering in developing countries
- Interest in international development/conservation issues
- Knowledge of design packages such as Microsoft Publisher or Adobe Photoshop, and/or experience of e-mail marketing packages such as Mailchimp
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send a CV and covering letter outlining how their skills and experience match the requirements in the job description criteria to Mark Jacobs, SEED Madagascar Managing Director by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications deadline is rolling so do not delay applications as assessments will be made and interviews set on a first come first served basis.
More information on the work of SEED Madagascar can be found at www.madagascar.co.uk