120 Wall Street, 13th floor
amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research, is seeking a dynamic and strategic Major Gifts Officer.
amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research, is one of the world’s leading nonprofit organizations dedicated to the support of AIDS research, HIV prevention, treatment education, and advocacy. Since 1985, amfAR has invested more than $480 million in its programs and has awarded grants to more than 3,300 research teams worldwide.
Identify, cultivate, and solicit major individual gifts ($5,000 and up) from current and prospective donors. Create and implement a comprehensive, multi-year major gifts campaign to support amfAR’s research and programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cultivate new and existing major donors and solicit major gifts.
- Work with the Manager of Prospect Research to identify individual major gift prospects.
- Work with the Philanthropy and Special Events staff to move existing donors to higher giving levels, create new fundraising initiatives, and develop appropriate solicitation materials.
- Maintain strong relationships with programs’ staff to anticipate funding needs and develop funding goals and strategies.
- Create short- and long-term strategies and outreach plans for the major gifts campaign; prepare detailed fundraising progress reports for the Director of Philanthropy.
- Lead one-on-one solicitations, and coordinate the CEO and development and programs’ staff in the cultivation and solicitation of major gifts.
- Coordinate major gifts activities with amfAR’s overall plans and strategies, in particular, the efforts of the Special Events department, the Public Information program, and the Office of the CEO.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Director of Philanthropy or the Vice President and Director of Development.
- Plan and execute major donor fundraising and cultivation events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree. Five years fundraising experience, including three years experience developing or managing a successful major gifts campaign in a similar environment. Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills a must. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and fundraising software, preferably Salesforce, required. Knowledge of the healthcare field and AIDS-related issues is desired. Opportunity for some travel.
Minimum Education Required