Manager, Business Development
Start Date: January 2019
Location: Prefer East Coast but open to any PHE city
Peer Health Exchange (PHE) is a national non-profit organization that empowers young people with the knowledge, skills, and resources to make healthy decisions. We do this by training college students to teach a robust skills-based health curriculum in under-resourced high schools across the country. Since our founding in 2003, we have trained more than 8,500 college student volunteers to deliver effective health education to over 115,000 public high school students in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, and the San Francisco Bay Area. In 2016, PHE launched a five-year strategic plan to focus on growing our effective model while partnering with health and education systems, as well as communities to build a more integrated, sustainable model for health education. You will be joining an incredibly passionate, collaborative, and committed team working together towards our vision of advancing health equity.
As the Manager, Business Development you will support, coordinate and manage the business development and strategic partnerships pipeline as well as the strategy for the organization. Additionally, you will assist in the development of proposal strategies by researching target health and scalable models partners. In time it is our commitment and hope that you will add to the internal capacity of strategic, revenue-generating, external-facing team members at PHE. You will report directly to the VP, Business Development.
Do you aspire to show up for young people and your community each day? Are you a bold thinker and inclusive collaborator? Does authentic communication and honest feedback help you continuously learn and grow? Do you find the joy in both the journey and the results?
Yes? Here’s what you should know:
This is a full-time, salaried position located in preferably one of our East Coast offices.
Here’s what you will do as part of our team:
40% Health Partnerships
- Identify and support business development efforts to secure new partnerships
- Develop pitches and proposals in collaboration with the VP, Business Development
- Coordinate and manage scalable models pipeline in Salesforce and support timely maintenance of site-based partnership pipelines in collaboration with Executive Directors and teams
- Prepare and coordinate meeting agendas, supporting materials, and attend related internal and external meetings
- Coordinate follow-up from external meetings, ensure approvals/contract reviews are progressing in a timely manner
- Collaborate in formal transition of partnerships from the business development phase to kickoff and implementation phase (as led by Partnerships team)
40% Scalable Models
- Respond to inbound inquiries for PHE in new communities and perform intake calls to gather preliminary partner information
- Lead research for scalable models, health partnerships, and associated partners
- Partner with the External Affairs team to identify key decision makers and stakeholders for outreach
20% Special Projects
- Lead internal initiatives (e.g. developing a pitch for strategic partners for alumni engagement, researching platforms/companies that could distribute a licensed PHE curriculum) as identified and agreed upon by PHE Executive and 360 Team leadership
What you'll bring to the table:
- Demonstrate a strong passion for PHE’s mission to empower young people with the knowledge, skills, and resources to make healthy decisions; strong alignment with PHE’s core values of Health, Equity, Agency, Communication and Impact
- Be extremely organized, detail-oriented, self-starting and able to work well independently
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience with increasing levels of responsibility and external exposure with decision makers
- Exhibit great curiosity, innovative perspective, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrate CRM experience
- Be proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to creatively and fearlessly navigate ambiguity
- Proactively ask questions and seek clarification
- Demonstrate timely, high responsiveness to emails, phone calls, etc.
- Be able to coordinate across multiple teams, calendars and interests, both internal and external
- Ability to travel as needed (10% or less to start)
- Salesforce experience
- Prior business, development, or business development experience
- Public speaking experience (e.g. debate or Toastmasters – like experience)
Your turn! We’d like to learn about you.
Please submit your resume and cover letter telling us why you are interested in our team and this role!
At Peer Health Exchange, we celebrate difference and are committed to providing equitable opportunities, addressing the effects of power and privilege. PHE is proud to be an equal employment opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, physical disability, veteran status or length of time spent unemployed. We want to empower people to change lives!
Note: Peer Health Exchange reserves the right to add additional duties, as needed. All Peer Health Exchange employees are encouraged to be flexible and responsive to changes in scope of duties.
Minimum Education Required