Teaching Matters is a national nonprofit organization, headquartered in New York City, with the mission to close the opportunity gap of a radically unequal education system for underserved and historically marginalized children, regardless of zip code. From states and districts to schools and classrooms, we partner to help teachers and school leaders develop the skills they need to teach well, lead their peers and drive school-wide improvement.
The VP of Services is responsible for overseeing and growing a portfolio of school and district partnerships in NYC and nationally. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and as a key leader in the organization, the VP of Services is responsible for developing relationships and strong partnerships with school and district leaders as well as City and State officials and administrators, developing a team of highly qualified and skilled Educational Consultants, matching Educational Consultants with projects and partnerships, and ensuring the quality and impact of all consulting services in his/her portfolio. This is a wonderful opportunity for a seasoned, mission aligned, and equity-minded professional who thrives on partnering and problem solving with key stakeholders in the K-12 education space and planning and executing on key projects and/or long term partnerships that have a meaningful impact on teachers and students.
Business Development and Relationship Management
- Cultivate relationships with school and district leaders, developing deep understanding of their needs, and proposing solutions that address their biggest challenges
- Create project and partnership proposals based on client needs that include budgets based on NYCDOE vendor contract requirements
- Ensure quality services are provided to all clients and problem-solve challenges as they arise
- Support expansion in New York City, New York State and nationally and renewal of partnerships over time
- Collaborate with Sales (fee-for-service) and Development (grant/donor funded) departments to identify areas of opportunity to grow programs, partnerships and revenue
Talent Acquisition and Capacity Building
- Cultivate a team of highly qualified Educational Consultants across grades K-12 including full-time, part-time and per diem roles
- Develop a deep understanding of the trends and needs of schools and districts and ensure there is a strong team of Educational Consultants in place to meet those needs
- Inform hiring practices for the division in collaboration with an Operations and Talent Manager and Sr HR Manager and oversee onboarding
- Coordinate with HR Manager and DEI Director to continue efforts to remove bias from hiring process, promote diversity and inclusivity in the organization
- Collaborate with sales to better understand the needs of clients and match school and district-based assignments to the most qualified and skilled Educational Consultant based on demand and availability
- Lead a team of up to 5 Field Leaders who supervise teams of Educational Consultants and ensure the needs of Educational Consultants are met across the division
- Collaborate with Field Leaders to develop professional learning opportunities for Educational Consultants and to meet the professional needs of individuals and groups
- Support Field Leaders in effective and continuous feedback to consultants and support performance evaluation process in partnership with Sr HR Manager
- Facilitate regular Field Leadership team meetings, cultivating learnings from the field and informing the work of the organization with an emphasis on connecting senior leadership and initiatives to the work in the field and vice versa
- Set strategy for programs/services to be designed based on funding and client opportunities
- Define, lead, and support strategic priorities for the Program Department with Director of Service Design as a direct report.
- Lead a portfolio of programs and services including system level partnerships and grant funded projects
Financial and Operations
- Own a divisional budget of 5 to 10 million, ensuring that all staffing and investment decisions are fiscally responsible and organizationally sustainable
- Oversee divisional budget, project budgets, incoming revenue, and expenses across the entire division supported by accounting team
- Manage and meet staff utilization and earned revenue targets
- Utilize reports and dashboards in salesforce to better understand staff capacity and make strategic staffing decisions based on data
Direct Reports: Director of Service Design, Field Leaders (5)
- Senior level district experience in designing, implementing and monitoring the efficacy of professional learning across complex systems
- Deep commitment to and experience in racial equity and Culturally Responsive & Sustaining Education
- Deep knowledge of the research on effective professional learning and teaching
- Demonstrated experience effectively leading and managing large teams of educators
- Strong skills in problem solving, communications, and relationship building
- Strong operational skills; able to effectively oversee multi-million dollar budgets and create systems and structures out of complexity
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple time sensitive and competing priorities
- Strong understanding of the NYCDOE system and practices
- Experience with NYCDOE budgets and PD contracts a plus
- A collaborative spirit and a solution oriented mindset
Perks and Compensation
- This position works 12 months and is a full-time position.
- 403b options, with 6% match after one year of employment.
- Full benefits available, including generous PTO and sick time.
- Location NYC - expectation is blended work environment - remote and in office.
COVID-19 Considerations: Prior to hire, candidates will need to show documentation of COVID vaccination.
Teaching Matters is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.