8000 Westpark Drive
Our Mission and Our Work
Protect Our Defenders (POD) is the only national organization solely dedicated to ending the epidemic of rape and sexual assault in the military and to combating a culture of pervasive misogyny, sexual harassment, and retribution against victims.
Our work includes: educating the public about the scope of the crisis, its impact on the military and civilian society, and the need for reform; researching and exposing dysfunction related to sexual assault and harassment in the military’s training and criminal justice systems and in the Veterans Administration (VA) system; advocating for the enforcement and respect of victims’ rights and for a safe and respectful environment for women, LGBTQ, and people of color serving in our military; amplifying survivors’ voices within the policy debate; helping survivors access support services, including providing pro bono legal assistance; and advocating for policy reforms that will ensure all survivors have access to a fair and impartially administered system of justice outside the chain of command.
Given the increasing prominence and significance of the issues we address, POD is poised for significant growth. We are searching for an experienced, reliable, and task-oriented Executive Assistant. The Executive Assistant will work directly with the CEO and will be responsible for performing a number of executive support and administrative duties. The ideal candidate is highly self-motivated, professional, and capable of independently managing their workload and prioritizing tasks in a fast-paced and flexible nonprofit environment. This is an excellent opportunity to join a growing and highly reputable national-level organization.
• Coordinate executive communications, including taking calls, responding to emails, and interfacing with partners and stakeholders.
• Prepare internal and external organizational documents for team members and stakeholders.
• Prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence needed by the CEO.
• Schedule meetings and appointments, manage travel itineraries, as well as provide logistical support.
• Arrange events to take place outside of the workplace, such as fundraising events and staff appreciation events.
• Assist in the creation of program budgets.
• Manage administrative tasks, including meeting notes, financial submissions, and other internal documentation.
• Maintain an organized filing system of paper and electronic documents.
• Create, update, and correct database records to ensure data integrity.
• Create database reports as needed.
• Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials, and other duties as assigned for events.
• Prepare media materials for distribution (i.e. copying, filing, mailing, e-mailing)
• Maintain record of foundation, corporate, and individual donor correspondence for audit purposes.
• Assist in the submission and tracking of grant requests.
Skills and Knowledge
• A minimum of two year’s experience in an administrative position, preferably in a nonprofit executive office.
• High proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, emphasis on Word and Excel capability.
• Experience with database/CRM entry and maintenance.
• Excellent verbal communications skills.
• Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, including a strong grasp of grammar and copy-editing.
• Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing, by given deadlines.
• Ability to organize and prioritize work.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Excellent organizing skills with high attention to detail and accuracy.
Protect Our Defenders seeks a high-energy, detail-oriented individual to work with a small, highly effective team of professionals to execute its mission: the eradication of military sexual assault and harassment in the workplace, as well as providing support for survivors of military sexual assault, harassment, and retaliation. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to actively contribute to a collaborative environment. Familiarity with military culture is a plus.
This is a full-time administrative position with flexible work options.
Location: McLean, VA
For more information about POD visit: www.protectourdefenders.com.
Protect Our Defenders is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage and consider all applications without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin or physical ability. We are firmly committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity (“EEO”) laws.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter, outlining how they meet the specific desired skills and qualifications of the position to email@example.com.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an initial interview will be contacted.