The Exploratorium Field Trip Program Supervisor supports the Manager and Director in the implementation of programs that provide children visiting the museum in school groups with informal learning experiences that can enhance, extend, and strengthen school science education goals. Field trip experiences can stimulate interest and engagement with science, as well as support the development of science process skills and content understanding. The Field Trip Supervisor assists in meeting the department goals by coordinating and supervising a range of Field Trip experiences that can support such student experiences. The Field Trip Supervisor supports the daily operations of the Field Trip program by monitoring and responding to needs on the museum floor, supporting Field Trip Explainers in professional growth, carrying out administrative tasks, and communicating across departments and with teachers. This position reports to the Director of the Field Trip Explainer Program.
Museum Floor Support
- Support the daily operation of the field trip program, including managing the daily Explainer schedule and monitoring activity on the museum floor.
- Work directly with teachers and students who visit the Exploratorium on field trips.
- Respond to radio calls requiring supervisory attention.
- Support the opening and/or closing of the museum.
- Supervise the Field Trip Explainers under the guidance and direction of the Manager and Director; provide timely feedback and coaching; participate in performance reviews.
- Plan and lead trainings for staff relevant to floor facilitation, logistics, and supporting the visitor experience in inquiry-based learning.
- Carry out administration tasks under the direction of the Manager, including organizing Field Trip Explainer personal files, recording attendance, and timecards.
- Order program supplies and update records of money spent.
- Coordinate and communicate with exhibit maintenance, admissions, operations, and other staff as needed relating to scheduling requests for work.
- Organize reservations for on and off-site space use for staff meetings and training sessions.
- Complete work accurately, on time, and confidentially as prioritized and assigned by Manager and Director.
Program Development and Communication
- Support the development field trip programs and projects that can strengthen connections between students’ school and museum learning experiences.
- Coordinate on-site visitors and communicate with school field trip teachers as assigned.
- Perform other duties and assignments as needed.
- Minimum 2 years experience in informal learning institutions.
- BA/BS, preferably in a science or education discipline or equivalent experience.
- Previous supervisory experience required, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Excellent inquiry-based teaching skills.
- Polite, tactful, and diplomatic manner when dealing with people
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Reliability, patience, flexibility, and positive attitude.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and tasks.
- Strong Computer Skills Required: Proficiency with Excel, Word, email, and Internet.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; bilingual skills an asset (Spanish or Cantonese a plus).
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Ability to move from place to place; utilize a computer terminal and general office equipment; lift and carry up to 25 pounds short distances.
Application open until June 22, 2018.
This is a full-time, fixed-term (August 20, 2018 – June 21, 2019), exempt, management position that includes benefits. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job.
The Exploratorium is committed to providing equal employment without regard to race, color, religious expression, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, genetic information, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran’s status or any other class protected by applicable law.
The Exploratorium will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page.