The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) is seeking a Director, Periodicals (Editor in Chief). NAEYC is a professional membership organization that works to promote high-quality early learning for all young children, birth through age 8, by connecting early childhood practice, policy, and research. NAEYC advances a diverse, dynamic early childhood profession and supports all who care for, educate, and work on behalf of young children.
NAEYC is seeking a Director of Periodicals. The Director manages the Periodicals team and is responsible for planning and implementing the strategic editorial plan for NAEYC's journal, Young Children and magazine for preschool teachers, Teaching Young Children, (each published 5 times a year) and online journal Voices of Practitioners (published once a year with articles first appearing in YC
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans the overall direction and approach for each periodical, including the themes and topics to be covered and the table of contents for each issue.
- Author outreach and identifies content sources and reaches out to authors.
- Evaluating Content, Editing and Writing: Oversees evaluation of articles submitted to be published for YC, TYC, and VOP and guides editors to assist with this evaluation. Manages peer review process. Performs significant developmental edits of individual articles so content reads well and reflects educational best practices, significantly improving the content and writing of articles submitted by volunteer contributors.
- Management: Oversees the Periodicals team making sure content meets the publications' deadlines and that editing takes place efficiently and accurately. Manages and improves the peer review process for YC. Develops and improves the role of the TYC advisory board. Improves the efficiency of the editing team in general. Grows the editors to develop their content knowledge
- Fiscal and Business Management: Responsible for the periodical's budgets and spending, working with the Publishing Operations Manager to track the budgets. Works closely with the advertising sales team to inform them about the editorial planning process and to receive appropriate feedback and ideas from the advertisers. Understands the periodicals business model and makes suggestions about how to improve and adapt to the changing publishing environment.
- Content Leadership: Acts as a content leader looking for connections and synergy with other NAEYC content outlets. Executes exceptional and engaging content for the diverse early childhood educator audience and mentors colleagues and staff in this regard. Maintains knowledge of NAEYC's business strategy, audiences, operations, and functions. Oversees content quality of YC, TYC, and VOP, keeping true to NAEYC's principles of developmentally appropriate practice. As part of this work, ensures diverse perspectives on early childhood education topics are reflected and that the periodicals appeal to members and the early childhood field in general.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Supervised by the Senior Director, Publishing and Professional Learning. Supervises 2 direct reports and 2 indirect reports, providing opportunities for professional growth, skill development, and mentorship.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor's degree, MA desired
- Minimum of 7 years of experience leading content products for the teacher and educator audience.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated knowledge of the processes and systems of print and digital publishing
- Proven editorial skills, including the ability to guide both peer-reviewed content and content intended to drive member engagement
- Deep understanding of early childhood education, DAP, and the educator and teacher audience