Details: 110 hours per month at £15 p/h (£28,800 pro rata, or £19,800 actual)
The Global Ecovillage Network (GEN) is currently seeking an all-rounder to both jointly coordinate GEN’s Findhorn office hub and provide operational leadership at the heart of GEN.
Our office hub serves as a node of connection and cross-organisational support for GEN as an organisation and network. Our office team currently comprises 7 part-time staff, all working between 0.4FTE-0.7FTE, and serves to virtually interlink and support staff and collaborators worldwide. Ongoing needs cross all programmatic ‘Focus Areas’, as well as Finance, Fundraising, HR and Operations. Depending on need and capacity, certain projects will be directly managed via office staff e.g. COP climate conference logistics, or the GEN Africa conference. Overall, the office team hold a broad understanding of the constantly evolving internal systems and needs of GEN, in addition to upcoming programmatic and project-based needs.
We are seeking someone to be based at our Findhorn office who is comfortable sitting in strategic responsibility, can contribute to GEN’s overall development and financial sustainability, plus can coordinate day-to-day operational aspects. The perfect person for this role will be highly organised, capable of handling a varied and high workload, and be experienced in working within networked organisations, whilst professionally holding expertise in organisational strategy, operations, staff and volunteer empowerment, and administration.
The successful individual will work alongside our Executive Director, closely with our General Circle at the core of GEN, and will have many opportunities to contribute to GEN’s emergent evolution. This role will suit someone who gives importance to inward and outward-facing organisational development, human systems, people empowerment, legal and policy compliance, plus other essential elements of organisational behaviour.
To learn more about GEN’s structure, programmes and projects, see our Annual Report 2017.
Work Location: GEN Office in Findhorn, Scotland.
Division/Department: GEN International Core Staff, General Circle
Type of position: Employed, after 3 month freelanced trial period
Hours and compensation: Part-time: 110 hours per month at £15 p/h (£28,800 pro rata, or £19,800 actual)
Starting Date: ASAP (to be discussed at interview). Interviews expected to be w/c 13th August
Role Description and Responsibilities
- General office hub coordination (see shared Distributed Office Management Responsibilities, below))
- Offer appropriate peer-to-peer office staff support
- Findhorn/GEN vision, connection and development
- European Voluntary Service volunteer mentorship and support
- General Circle representation
- Listening and Convening - internal system support - noticing where needs for communication arise within GEN and initiating/convening meetings accordingly.
Policy oversight and legal compliance (30%)
- Ensure that legal obligations regarding the membership of GEN are met.
- Ensure insurance needs and policies, including employers liability, public liability, and Trustee liability, are appropriately covered
- Oversee development, compliance and implementation of central operational policies such as safeguarding
- Ensure GEN operational and HR policies are regularly reviewed in accordance with internal protocols
- GDPR Policy and Compliance Manager (PAC Man)
- Mentor and support European Voluntary Service assistants and volunteers to become personally empowered through their work with GEN
Staff and HR (20%)
- Alongside Executive Director, jointly responsible for the implementation of strategic targets
- Ensure staff accountability, and develop and track progress on operational targets
- Schedule and oversee Role Improvement Feedback Sessions for all staff, and ensure that staff contracts are signed and up to date.
- Support with the development of appropriate internal HR systems
- Support recruitment including publicity and advertising roles; interviewing; setting up contracts
- Ensure newly hired staff are onboarded by their line manager and others (Orientation Checklist).
- Support the Finance Director to fulfill GEN’s financial and accounting needs
- Initiate weekly bank transfers online - two-step authentication responsibility
- Do quickbooks entries for petty cash, inventory and online store. Liaise with Finance Director for reconciliations.
- File annual Gift Aid receipts
- Support project accounting
Distributed Office Management Responsibilities
GEN’s Office Hub is a collaborative, supportive and energetic space currently shared between 7 paid and voluntary staff. Everyone in the office shares responsibility for the holding of the following, with paid office staff coordinating tasks according to internal organisation and capacity:
General office hub coordination
- General cross-organisational operational and administrative support including finance and fundraising, plus other programmatic and project-based support as needed.
- Virtual and physical office management: Coordinate the order and management of all GEN documents in office filing systems and GDrive
- Keep physical & virtual files and contracts in order and updated and in keeping with regulatory requirements
- Ensure smooth running of the office (supplies, cleaning, renting, team schedule, petty cash, postal deliveries)
- Liaise with Landlord and Findhorn Community
- Oversee GEN Online Store budget, stock levels, recording of sales on GDrive database, postage of merchandise orders, and customer enquiries
- Oversee printing of GEN materials
- Host guests coming to Findhorn office
- Hold, support and empower EVS interns at the office with tasks and workload management. Support their personal development in relation to their work in GEN
Level of Language Proficiency
- Excellent English verbal and written communication. Additional language competence would be a particularly appreciated bonus.
- Ability to effectively communicate, build positive rapport, and collaborate with others
- Understanding of and agreement to the vision and mission and code of conduct of GEN.
- High degree of integrity: you do the work you commit to and are honest accounting for it.
- Ability to work with persons from diverse cultural settings.
- Ability to self-organise and work in an environment of emergence and complexity.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Ability to be prepared and to maintain regular punctual attendance to meetings.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email your application with ‘OPERATIONS DIRECTOR’ in the subject line, by midnight (BST) 8th August, 2018 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following:
- Cover Letter (inc. earliest start date) - outlining what motivates you to apply and how you meet the Role Description (Maximum 2 A4 pages).
- Resume/CV and Bio
- 2-3 References
- If applying from outside the UK, EEA or Switzerland, please send proof of eligibility to work in the UK