Details: Commensurate with experience.
81 Prospect Street
Equal Justice USA (EJUSA) is a national organization working to transform the justice system by promoting responses to violence that break cycles of trauma. We work at the intersection of criminal justice, public health, and racial justice to elevate healing and safety over retribution, advance racial equity, and meet the needs of survivors. Our primary programs work to end the death penalty, limit and transform policing, and change the national narrative on violence and accountability.
About the position: We seek a smart, grounded, trauma-informed organizer to manage EJUSA’s national, multi-racial network of spokespeople who have been personally impacted by trauma, either within or outside the justice system – including crime survivors, families of the incarcerated, and police officers. This national Trauma Network brings together 15-20 grassroots leaders to act as a Speakers Bureau and advisory committee to advance EJUSA’s mission and programs. The Manager will also work with members to build the capacity of their local organizations where relevant, including helping them access funding for their work.
About the Network: Network members help strengthen EJUSA’s vision for trauma-informed responses to violence, receive training in messaging and media, act as spokespeople on behalf of EJUSA’s programs, speak on panels, engage in advocacy efforts, and organize in their communities. They also receive mentoring and technical assistance from EJUSA to strengthen their organizations.
The Network grew out of two decades of EJUSA organizing with survivors of violence, including our recent work addressing racial disparities that have previously limited access to, and availability of, victims’ services in the communities most impacted by crime. The Network gathered for a powerful two-day convening in March 2018, but has yet to formalize.
About you: The ideal candidate will have a commitment to racial justice, experience organizing with and developing leadership of impacted people, and familiarity with organization-building and resource development for grassroots groups, including government funding for direct service organizations. They will be a natural relationship-builder with experience mentoring or consulting with organizations and their leaders to help them grow. If you’re excited by the idea of organizing with impacted communities to stop cycles of violence and helping underserved communities grow and gain access to and sustain new resources, then this job is for you.
About the team: EJUSA has 19 staff, with most located throughout the country, and a small national office in DUMBO, Brooklyn. This position will report to the Director of Campaigns & Organizing and will work closely with the Director of Training & Capacity Building to organize and grow the capacity of the Network. We’re a terrific team that loves our work and really enjoys working together!
Network management and organizing (60%):
● Build and sustain robust and authentic relationships with members of the Trauma Network
● Convene regular conference calls of the Network, and communicate with members individually in between calls and meetings, to ensure members feel engaged, connected, and supported in their work with EJUSA
● Work with Network members and other EJUSA team members to formalize a structure for the Network, develop and hone its mission and activities, and recruit potential members
● Work with EJUSA’s communications and program teams to identify opportunities to amplify Network members’ stories and voices in the media, at speaking events, online, in advocacy campaigns, and in print materials
● Develop opportunities for Network members to provide peer support and share strategies
● Nurture a leadership pipeline within the Network, including identifying and supporting potential co-chairs or other roles to be determined as the Network structure is formalized
● Organize and lead national convenings of the Network (next one currently slated for fall 2019)
● As the project grows, continue to develop new strategies and opportunities to enhance visibility and recruitment.
● Help develop strategy and engage Network members in local violence reduction campaigns.
Capacity building with Network members (40%)
● Strengthen Network members and their organizations by providing ongoing coaching, training, and support to increase the visibility of their local efforts
● Provide tailored capacity building consulting to Network members, including helping them understand how their programs could be eligible for victims services funding, conducting capacity assessments, and developing plans to scale their work with new funding
● Provide tailored technical assistance in strengthening internal processes, such as tracking in order to meet funding requirements, financial and grant management, organizational sustainability, monitoring and evaluation, and any other needs in order for members to be best positioned to compete for and properly manage funds
● Provide one-on-one coaching with Network members to identify and prioritize developmental issues and goals
● Serve as a liaison to a professional grantwriter who will assist organizations with grant proposals, and help facilitate meetings and provide support to the grantwriter in the development of materials
● Provide current data and research to Network members about best practices and trends in trauma-informed strategies for serving victims
● At least 3-5 years of relevant experience in outreach, program management, advocacy, or related fields
● Excellent interpersonal relationship building, networking, and social skills; ability to connect authentically and build trust with diverse groups of people
● Strong communication skills, including experience giving media interviews, public speaking, and preparing/supporting others to do so
● Experience with facilitation, training/leading workshops, and familiarity with campaign strategy a strong plus
● Familiarity with government funding processes, including State and Federal VOCA grants preferred, or strong interest in learning
● Understanding of, and interest in, organizational growth and sustainability
● Strong project management skills with the ability to juggle various projects and deadlines
● Self-starter, organized, disciplined, and highly detail-oriented
● Comfort working in a Mac-based environment
● Proficiency with office and web-based applications, including Microsoft Office, and the ability to learn new programs quickly
● A positive attitude, friendly personality, and the ability to get along with many types of people and be a team player
● Ability and willingness to travel
● Commitment to the mission and core values of Equal Justice USA, including a commitment to racial equity
● Experience and comfort working with impacted communities, particularly those harmed by crime, violence, and the justice system – people directly impacted by these experiences are encouraged to apply
Location: Remote or based in our Brooklyn office
Excellent benefits including employer-paid medical and dental care, retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days, and holidays, disability insurance, and professional development allowance.
EJUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage a diverse pool of candidates to apply, including those impacted by the issues we work on. We consider all applicants on the basis of their ability to perform the job, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, physical appearance, age, mental or physical disability, credit history, veteran status, uniform service member status, justice system involvement, victims of domestic violence, stalking, or other crimes, political affiliation, or any other legally protected class. EJUSA does not tolerate discrimination or harassment against any of the above listed classes
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit www.ejusa.org/jobs to apply online. Upload a cover letter and resume in PDF format only by clicking "I'm interested" on the top right of the job ad. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No calls please. Applications will be reviewed immediately on a rolling basis.