463 7th Avenue
The Director of Special Events must be even-tempered and a team player, able to work well independently with a take-charge attitude. He/She must be extremely detail oriented and exacting. This position reports directly to the Chief Development Officer.
- Initiate, plan, develop and manage fundraising and cultivation events to achieve strategic objectives.
- Propose new ideas to improve the cultivation of donors at multiple levels, including small impactful interactions as well as large, multi-pronged events.
- Gather information on each project to achieve the highest possible quality event, and track all aspects of events using Raisers Edge fundraising software.
- Negotiate space contracts and book events space(s), as well as all other logistical arrangements as necessary.
- Work with Event Task Force of the Board and the Chief Development Officer to manage all aspects of annual high-end fundraising event, Dinner for a Better New York, as well as other events throughout the year.
- Arrange small theme-driven dinners, such as, but not limited to, Jeffersonian Dinners, that help advance conversations consistent with the S:US mission
- Directly solicit corporate sponsors and donations from individuals, ticket sales and in-kind gifts to achieve fundraising goals.
- Work with vendors (e.g., printers, designers, caterers, etc.) to ensure high-quality and timely delivery of products and services.
- Help organize and recruit volunteers and leaders for fundraising co-chairs and committees.
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate meetings, prepare agendas, and act as liaison to handle meeting logistics
- Coordinate with event co-chairs and committees, Board and staff to facilitate the exchange of ideas and ensure the effective and efficient use of volunteer talents.
- Update and provide regular communications to fundraising event committees on the progress of sales and contribution, and the event planning process.
- Ensure the quick and timely recognition (e.g., formal thank you notes, phone calls, etc.) of all event donors, sponsors and volunteers.
- Develop budgets for fundraising events. Monitor expenditures to ensure compliance with budgetary constraints, and ensure related bills/invoices are processed in a timely and accurate manner. Identify budget issues and provide recommendation for resolution.
- Keep abreast of event fundraising trends and recommend innovative, lucrative ideas for special events to the CDO.
- Track and report on event results.
- Participate in special projects and perform other duties as required.
- Bachelors degree required and at least 3 years professional experience
- Proven track record of experience in managing events of all sizes
- Demonstrated organizational capacity and refined communications skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet necessary deadlines
Kindly include a cover letter and updated resume as one document.
Minimum Education Required