District of Columbia
The Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that seeks to advance American democracy and protect the fundamental right of every citizen to participate in the political process. CLC’s attorneys are the nation’s premier election-law experts, dedicated to ensuring that all Americans have the right to take part in shaping the laws and policies that directly impact their lives, regardless of race, economic status, or political affiliation.
CLC operates four programs dedicated to improving campaign finance systems nationwide: appellate litigation, trial litigation, federal reform, and state & local reform. The Senior Legal Counsel, Campaign Finance will serve as an attorney across all four of CLC’s campaign finance program areas. The Senior Legal Counsel will conduct appellate and district court litigation in courts around the country, defending and ensuring enforcement of federal and state campaign finance laws. The Senior Legal Counsel will practice before the Federal Election Commission, filing complaints for violations of federal law and participating in rulemaking and other administrative actions. In addition, the Senior Legal Counsel will engage with government officials and reform advocates across the country to support robust pro-democracy laws and to help ensure the proper implementation and enforcement of these laws.
- Conduct legal research, writing, and advocacy for all aspects of CLC’s campaign finance programs, including:
- Investigating and writing FEC complaints
- Researching and writing FEC rulemaking documents, and testifying before the agency regarding rulemakings
- Researching and writing amicus briefs in campaign finance cases in federal circuit courts and the U.S. Supreme Court
- Litigating campaign finance cases in federal district courts
- Counseling states and localities regarding potential improvements to campaign finance statutes and regulations
- Advising ballot-measure committees regarding campaign finance measures
- Provide expert analysis and commentary to members of the press on campaign finance issues
- Write white papers, blogs, op-eds, and other policy and public education materials
- Represent the public interest in proceedings before state and municipal legislative bodies and agencies, including testifying on legislation and participating in administrative proceedings
- Assist with mentoring and development of junior campaign finance attorneys
- Participate in strategic planning for CLC's campaign finance programs
- Assist with devising and implementing internal policies and procedures for campaign finance team
- Conduct voting rights and redistricting litigation when needed
- Collaborate with Development staff to support fundraising efforts
- Represent CLC at conferences and events
- Some travel required
- At least six years of legal experience, which must include experience in at least two of the following practice areas:
- Appellate campaign finance litigation
- District court campaign finance litigation
- Development of campaign finance legislation, regulations, or policies
- Campaign finance enforcement or compliance
- Active membership in the DC bar in good standing, or eligibility to waive into the DC bar
- Exemplary research, writing, and analytical skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills with a proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team
- Commitment to the nonpartisan nature and overall mission of CLC
The Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services and benefits.
Disclaimer: This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and résumé addressing your interest in and relevant experience for this role with “Senior Legal Counsel, Campaign Finance” in the subject line to email@example.com.
Applications must be submitted by April 23. Qualified candidates will be contacted after submitting a full application.