Job Title: Senior Financial Analyst
Reports To: Controller
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School's mission is to empower young adults (18-20 year-olds) to develop skills and connect to opportunities by fostering an environment of love, support, and respect for their whole person. Students graduate high school and successfully transition to college and career as critically conscious leaders, committed to positive change for themselves and their communities.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School provides an outstanding alternative education that activates the capacity of all students to learn, achieve and grow. YBPCS will be recognized as a model of authentic experiential learning, not only among programs serving out-of-school youth, but also among all high-achieving schools and youth programs in the country.
High expectations, a nurturing climate, personalized culture and rigorous real world learning experiences ensures that graduates are poised for life-long learning and career advancement. It is our vision that YouthBuild graduates will emerge as highly accomplished, self-sufficient,
self aware and socially conscious citizens. Graduates will be energized about their futures and build support networks for their personal, social and emotional health and well-being.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School will maximize its capacity to engage each student’s passion, tap into his or her individual potential and provide him or her with real opportunities for personal and professional transformation.
YBPCS’ values are deeply held and come from a love of humanity and a perspective that views each student as a community asset. The programs three core values - respect, excellence and perseverance – are reinforced through all aspects of the program.
Young people in Philadelphia who are disconnected will build skills and access resources and opportunities to achieve economic stability and personal development, and become critically conscious leaders within their communities.
The Senior Financial Analyst reports to, and works closely and collaboratively with the Controller to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the YouthBuild Philadelphia (YBP) accounting system and associated reports. This includes supporting YBP Program Directors, reporting financial data to the Finance Committee, Board of Directors and other 3rd parties, and ensuring compliance requirements for all government and non-government grants are met. This position may supervise up to one FTE in the Finance Department.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local legal and funding requirements by researching existing and new legislation, consulting with outside advisors, and filing financials reports
- Oversee proper expense and revenue classification based on grantor guidelines and monitor budgetary controls of grants and contracts
- Keep up-to-date on information and technology affecting finance and accounting to increase innovation, cost-effectiveness, and ensure compliance
- Utilize the current accounting system to run financial reports and effectively present financial data to internal and external parties
- Provide assistance with monthly, quarterly, and yearly G/L close, budgeting, and audits
- Review, analyze, and reconcile cash accounts, credit cards, electronic funds transfers, and general ledger accounts as assigned
- Serve as contact person for day-to-day finance operations
- Assist in developing grant specific and organizational budgets, invoices and reports as assigned
- Enter and maintain invoices, record journal entries and other financial activity into automated accounting systems
- Ensure that staff adheres to the funder rules & regulations, organization's accounting policies and procedures by conducting periodic desk audits; provides staff training and/or coaching as needed
- Maintain and update business office records and vendor files in accordance with the school retention guidelines
- Assist in the oversight of the Junior Financial Analyst
- Assists the Finance and Operations team members with other duties, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance preferred and minimum of three years of work experience in grants management
- Experience with federal, state and local grant administration and accounting
- Excellent computer skills, including advanced skills in Microsoft Office and Google Suite; experience with Sage Intacct is a plus
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills as well as the ability to see the big picture while understanding the details involved and the ramifications of decisions made
- Excellent ability to establish priorities, coordinate work activities, multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced dynamic work environment with accuracy and attention to detail
- Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable business needs
- Ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment
- Experienced with financial and operating data analysis, report design, and the presentation of quantitative information, including account reconciliation and budget to actual comparisons
- Ability to effectively communicate quantitative information verbally and in writing to audiences with varying levels of financial sophistication
- Strong analytical, organization and problem-solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Excellent people skills with the ability to build relationships across leadership levels and functions
- Basic competence in duties and tasks of supervised employees
- A self-starter, able to work independently and as a team, and able to adjust to shifting priorities.
- Mission driven to work with YB’s student body
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Intermediate to advanced Google Suite skills
- Commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated values that align to restorative practices
- Willingness to prioritize data collection, analysis, and sharing
- Willingness to reflect on impact data and incorporate that information into routine decision-making
- FBI - Criminal History Report
- PATCH - Pennsylvania Police Department - Criminal Background Check (and/or applicable based on State of residency)
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- TB Test Results
- Act 24 - Arrest Conviction Form
- NSOPW - National Sex Offender Clearance