The Administrative Research Assistant will jointly support two interdisciplinary research centers housed within the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development:
- The Center for Practice and Research at the Intersection of Information, Society, and Methodology (PRIISM) is dedicated to improving the caliber of research in quantitative social, educational, behavioral, allied health, and policy science, University-wide.
- The Institute of Human Development and Social Change (IHDSC) works to bridge the disconnect between the science of human development and policies and practices that affect children, youth, and families in diverse contexts by supporting rigorous research and training across social, behavioral, educational, policy, communication, and health sciences.
The Administrative Research Assistant will administratively support a diverse portfolio of research projects across both centers by performing day-to-day tasks involving HR, payroll, finance, procurement, and event planning. This position is responsible for front-line enforcement of NYU policies/procedures and plays a critical role in audit preparedness. The ideal candidate is interested in research administration and in learning how academic centers support and promote research.
This is a full-time position eligible for the benefits package available to Professional Research Staff. The Administrative Research Assistant will have dual reporting lines to the PRIISM Administrative Manager and IHDSC Assistant Director.
- Process expense reimbursements including: compiling supporting documentation; reviewing materials for compliance with NYU policies/procedures, and submitting reimbursement requests though the AP Workflow system.
- Purchase lab supplies, services, and travel accommodations for faculty and research staff.
- Reconcile and document center purchases in compliance with NYU policies/procedures, including purchases made using University liability payment cards (P-Card, Corporate Travel Account).
- Collect and document justification for research-related expenses; confirm account information.
- Log expenses against shadow budgets and maintain files of expense supporting documentation.
- Monitor expenses to ensure correct posting and process journal entries to resolve mispostings.
- Liaise with vendors to enroll them in NYU’s procurement system (i-Buy), submit bid waivers, generate purchase orders, facilitate vendor payments, and process purchase order closeouts.
- Manage the appointment process for students and part-time research staff including: advertising openings on the relevant job platform (Handshake/Interfolio), training new hires on using the myTime timekeeping system, and preparing/submitting appointment paperwork.
- Monitor student and part-time payroll, review/approve bi-weekly timesheets, check logged hours against salary charges to ensure the accuracy of payments.
- Proactively identify and resolve payment issues, process accounting adjustments as needed to ensure that salary expenses post correctly.
- Oversee the use of IHDSC’s meeting and research space. Maintain the room reservation system and troubleshoot booking issues. Replenish supplies and place work order requests to ensure all spaces remain in good working order. Troubleshoot IT and other logistical problems at meetings as they arise and assist with larger-scale events as needed.
- Coordinate logistics for internal meetings as well as seminars and conferences (e.g., booking conference rooms, ordering catering, organizing conference calls).
- Book travel accommodations and develop schedules for guest speakers.
B.A. required and minimum two years’ office administration experience is essential. Familiarity with the full Microsoft suite (Excel and Word in particular). Experience with graphic and web design is preferred. Familiarity with grants administration is not required, but a desire to learn is critical. Strong organizational ability with keen attention to detail. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service orientation. Highly responsive. Ability to troubleshoot and problem-solve. Flexible and able to juggle competing priorities. Able to interact effectively and diplomatically with colleagues across all levels of the organization.
The review of applicants will begin immediately. For full consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume via Interfolio as soon as possible.