Change for Kids
110 East 23rd Street, 5th Floor
Change for Kids (CFK) partners with elementary schools in New York City’s most underserved communities to provide critical resources that help prepare students for success in middle school and beyond. CFK seeks to do this by bringing together a strong community of New Yorkers who provide financial resources, volunteers, and strategic relationships to support programing focused on literacy, social-emotional skills, and community engagement.
Recognizing that all schools are unique and face different challenges, CFK School Managers partner closely with Principals as thought partners to customize and manage a mix of support, programs and volunteers for maximum impact. Founded in 1996, CFK serves almost 5,000 students at 13 partner schools in all five NYC boroughs. For more information on Change for Kids, please visit http://www.changeforkids.org/.
CFK’s values serve as a compass for the way they work. The organization seeks to be Responsive, Resourceful, Collaborative, Continuously Improving, and Optimistic.
CFK is seeking a visionary leader, skilled manager, inspiring communicator, and enthusiastic champion of the organization’s mission to serve as the next Executive Director and lead the organization into its next phase of growth. The Executive Director is responsible for setting the strategic vision of the organization, effectively engaging the donor community, interfacing with and leveraging the board, managing the finances, operations, and team, and ensuring that CFK’s resources are leveraged in a way that maximizes the impact of the organization.
The ideal Executive Director candidate will possess a deep belief in, and commitment to, CFK’s premise that a strong elementary school foundation sets students on the path to college and career success. In addition, a successful Executive Director will possess the charisma, character, and confidence to provide motivational leadership, lead a high performing team, and inspire diverse audiences. The Executive Director will be able to collaboratively forge a powerful vision to fully realize the incredible potential of CFK’s growth and success.
The Executive Director’s key responsibilities include:
- Codifying the strategy to maximize the impact of CFK’s programs in increasing student literacy, social-emotional skills, and community engagement at its partner schools as well as identifying the appropriate goals and key performance indicators to measure and monitor organizational progress in meeting this mission;
- Leading the vision to ensure the organization’s programs, operations, community engagement, and external partnerships are highly effective and tightly aligned to organization-wide mission and goals;
- Measuring the impact of CFK’s programs to develop a base evidence that illustrates the powerful impact that CFK has on its schools and students;
- Managing the staff by remaining deeply committed to fostering an inclusive, inspiring work environment that maximizes the potential of CFK staff, supporting the growth of the staff through continuous coaching and professional development opportunities while also holding them accountable for their goals and the organization’s desired programmatic outcomes, and leading staff to build a positive, professional, and rewarding team culture;
- Leading fundraising efforts as the primary external ambassador by effectively engaging a diverse philanthropic and corporate community (corporate sponsors, high-net worth individuals, foundations, etc.) to secure and allocate the resources and supports necessary to grow the organization;
- Collaborating with the Board of Directors to secure and allocate the resources and supports necessary to maintain the health of the organization, to monitor and measure organizational progress, and to engage their support in achieving ambitious goals for growth and impact;
- Overseeing administration of organizational finances, budgeting, and financial reporting, ensuring CFK’s compliance with all legal requirements, and ensuring the systems and processes are in place and leveraged in order to support organization-wide operations.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal Executive Director will be:
- An accomplished leader with 10+ years of experience and demonstrated success as an executive and/or senior manager in a mission driven organization;
- Unwavering in his/her belief in and support of CFK’s mission and deep commitment to and excitement about its vision for growth and model for impact on communities in the NYC region;
- Culturally competent and a self-reflective leader who is sensitive to the challenges CFK’s students face in their daily lives;
- A skilled people manager, with demonstrated success building high performing teams and coaching and developing talent for future leadership opportunities;
- Experienced in building strategic partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders, with a preference for someone who has built and managed relationships across the nonprofit, public, and private sectors;
- A skilled external ambassador with dynamic and versatile communication skills and an ability to speak in a clear, compelling, and authentic manner about the organization’s goals and priorities;
- Strategic in his/her approach with a track record of building and leveraging effective performance management systems and practices to tightly align resources, programming, and initiatives with desired organizational outcomes;
- An innovative problem-solver with a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves in the context of a resource-constrained end entrepreneurial non-profit;
- Knowledgeable of the education reform space, urban schools, and/or the needs of students in underserved communities.
Change for Kids is an equal opportunity employer with a core value of incorporating diverse perspectives into our work at every level. We strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this leadership position.
Minimum Education Required