Western States Center Job Announcement
POSITION AVAILABLE: Executive Assistant and Office Manager
Based in the Pacific Northwest and Mountain States, Western States Center (WSC) has worked nationwide for the last 30 years to strengthen inclusive democracy. WSC works through four distinct strategies of Building Movement, Developing Leaders, Shifting Culture and Defending Democracy.
We currently employ eight staff, a growing group of fellows and are set to expand our staff capacity over the next year due to rapid organizational growth. We are looking for someone with great interpersonal and administrative skills to assist with some of our most foundational tasks in the role of the Executive Assistant and Office Manager.
About this Role
As an integral part of the Operations team, this position primarily supports the Executive Director and also serves as the Office Manager. You will serve as the initial point of contact for both the office and the Director. While helping you learn to function effectively as a part of the Operations team and as a representative of the organization will be a joint responsibility by all staff, this position is supervised by the Operations Manager. Responsibilities include:
Support of Executive Director:
- Scheduling meetings and calendar management
- Handle travel logistics for Executive Director travel
- Financial Administration of Executive Director honoraria, credit card reconciliations
- Manage preparing Executive Director for all meetings-staff, board and retreats or speaking
- Notetaking in meetings and agenda building support
- Support communications with board
- Provide logistical support to the Operations Manager for board and staff meeting preparation
- Provide filing and file management support to the Deputy Director of Operations
- Retrieve and disperse mail
- Head up office celebrations and recognitions: Managing calendar of significant events, coordinate celebration logistics
- Support the maintenance of a useful list of event contractors, such as translators, meeting spaces, caterers, etc for events and for partner organization reference
- Maintain important office administrative documents, such as the Staff and Administrative handbooks
- Maintain inventory of office supplies and WSC merchandise for events and daily office functions, place and track order requests
- Fill out and manage board and remote staff check requests
Qualified applicants will have a demonstrated commitment to the Center's mission of advancing social, economic, racial and environmental justice, as well as the following skills and qualifications:
- Some formal education or training in addition to a completed high school education or GED
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working in a nonprofit administrative setting
- Proficiency in Salesforce
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as Google Docs and G Suite
- Experience working with highly confidential materials
- Good attention to detail and track record of achieving positive results
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Demonstrated collaboration skills
Location and travel
This position requires the Executive Director and Office Manager to work in the Western States
Center office, located in the Portland Oregon Metro area. Occasional travel required for board meetings.
Salary and benefits
This is a full time exempt position. Benefits include health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, paid sick leave, vacation, and sabbatical. Annual salary is $40,000.
Only complete applications will be considered.
To apply, please submit the following to: firstname.lastname@example.org, and in the subject line,
1) Your first name initial with last name and 2) title “Executive Assistant/Office Manager
Then please submit the following documents:
● Cover letter of no more than 2 pages, with the following included:
○ Give us a sentence or two telling us a little about yourself, and why you’re applying.
○ Clearly outline 1) how your qualifications match those listed above, 2) the specific skills and knowledge or accomplishments you bring to the job and how they are a good fit with the requirements and responsibilities of this position.
○ Experience with social justice, movement building/organizing or involvement in establishing diversity, equity and inclusion for marginalized groups? Tell us a little about how you operated in that environment.
○ Tell us about how you contributed to building a positive and more effective office environment.
● Three references
Applications taken on a rolling basis until December 14, 2018. No phone calls please.
Western States Center is an EEO employer and encourages applications from people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, and women.
This is a full time exempt position. Benefits include health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, paid sick leave, vacation, and sabbatical. Health care, dental care,
Minimum Education Required