222 High Street
Are you a successful major gifts fundraiser with a love for the outdoors and a passion for protecting our beautiful open spaces? Peninsula Open Space Trust (POST), located in Palo Alto, is a national leader in the land trust community having protected more than 75,000 acres in the San Francisco Peninsula, Santa Cruz Mountains and San Mateo County coast.
The commitment of our supporters shines through in so many ways. Volunteering, participating in events and donating funds generates large scale results. The Senior Manager of Major Gifts engages and expands this community working closely with over 100 of our major donors in educating and exploring the various ways they can support program initiatives. Involvement with interested individuals may include one-to-one meetings, special event participation, and taking them on an individual or group hike to wildlife corridors, farmlands and new regional hiking and biking trails.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
- Manage a portfolio of more than 100 high level annual and major campaign donors with a focus on expanding major donor interest and educating donors about programs and projects where they can make an impact on our natural surroundings
- Manage relationships with select members of the Board of Directors to coordinate engagement with current and potential major donors within their like-minded networks
- Remain keenly informed about current POST land projects and contribution opportunities
- Manage major donor hikes and gatherings for campaign fundraising and oversee large annual donor stewardship and cultivation events
- Oversee Donor Engagement Officer’s implementation of mid-level donor program
- Work with Director of Donor Engagement to take on oversight of POST’s Farmland Futures Initiative, a major current capital fundraising campaign; Coordinate management of our capital campaign budget
- Track capital campaign budget expenses and revenue with Chief Financial Officer
- Create and present reports to staff, Board of Directors and Advancement Committee
- Develop materials for and coordinate strategy for future capital campaigns related to new Land programs areas, in coordination with President, Senior Director of Development, Director of Major Gifts and Land Program Managers
- Provide fundraising guidance and oversight on web and printed donor materials and communications
- Keep abreast of tax laws pertinent to charitable giving and keep current on community issues that pertain to POST and land conservation
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- 5-10 years of experience in increasingly responsible positions in major gift fundraising
- Knowledge of annual giving and major gifts. Demonstrated success in raising annual gifts of $20,000 or more and campaign gifts of $100,000 or more
- Outgoing personality and professional presentation. Ease in juggling multiple responsibilities
- Event planning, marketing and volunteer management background desired
- Excellent written and oral communications, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Commitment to and knowledge of environmental and conservation issues
- College degree, preferably in relevant field
- Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting
- Able to live up to 20 lbs.
- Employee must be able to drive.
- Employee must be able to hike over rough terrain
- This position requires evening and weekend work
- A fun work setting with our dedicated and collegial team of 40; flexible hours, standup desks, social events and dog friendly
- The salary for the position is competitive and will be commensurate with experience.
- Leave: Vacation of ten days in year one, 15 days beginning in year two, and 20 days after four years of service.
- Sick leave of 12 days accrued per year
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance: Seven medical plans (Blue Shield and Kaiser) including HMO and PPO options.
POST pays for 100% of basic coverage for its employees and contributes 40% of premiums for dependents;
a Section 125 Flexible Spending plan
- 403(b) Retirement Plan. Employer contribution of 3% of salary, plus up to an additional 3% match, after one year of service
- A self-directed annual budget for training and development
- A fully paid, tax free Caltrain Go Pass, and reimbursement of train station parking up to $50/mo.
- A monthly health club reimbursement up to $75/mo.
- Life insurance, long- and short-term disability, and an employee assistance program (EAP)
Minimum Education Required