FULL-TIME JOB VACANCY
New York Office
Application Deadline: May 1, 2018
The Communications Division of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking highly-qualified candidates for the position of Associate in the New York office to provide administrative assistance to the Communications team, part of the Media Department. The successful candidate for this position will assist the HRW Press Team with the range of materials being published by HRW daily along with other administrative duties. The Media Department works to determine the best messages, the right audiences, and the best vehicle to raise public awareness of the human rights violations HRW investigates and documents. This position is based in New York and reports to the Senior Media Desk Officer based in New York.
1. Provide administrative support including scheduling, preparing for, and taking minutes at meetings, responding to inquiries, recording and processing divisional finances, and making travel arrangements;
2. Proofread, format, and distribute materials; assist with coordinating the review, production, and distribution of reports, news releases, letters, charts, briefing papers, op-eds, other publications, and web content;
3. Handle and respond to queries from journalists and other media professionals, connecting them with relevant researchers where appropriate;
4. Compile media roundups following the publication of HRW reports and other materials;
5. Maintain communication among HRW offices, global staff, and external partners;
6. Create and maintain extensive contact databases and filing and archiving systems;
7. Assist with writing and promoting content on social media, particularly the @HRWPress Twitter account; maintaining webpages; and sourcing multimedia materials;
8. Maintain the HRW Press pipeline, keep all publishing schedules and calendars up to date and relevant;
9. Process all translation invoices in a timely manner;
10. Maintain contacts with translators and update contact information as needed;
11. Assist with the recruitment, onboarding, and mentoring of interns and liaise with universities for partnerships;
12. Assist with organizing events including press conferences and partner meetings;
13. Assist with some desk research tasks and provide support to associated multimedia projects when necessary; and
14. Carry out other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, social sciences, international relations, or related studies is required.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail are required.
2. Creativity, initiative, follow-through, ability to work independently, and excellent organizational skills are required.
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required; fluency in other languages is highly desirable.
4. The ability to work well under pressure and to manage multiple priorities while working effectively toward deadlines is required.
5. Strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively within Human Rights Watch as well as with external partners are required.
6. Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions and take initiative when appropriate is required.
7. Proficiency in computer programs including MS Office applications is required.
8. Excellent writing and editing skills are required; proofreading experience is desirable.
9. An understanding of news cycles and international media outlets is preferred.
10. Demonstrated commitment to human rights and/or international issues and the capacity to master and represent the mission and programs of Human Rights Watch are highly desirable.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current US work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.
Salary and Benefits: Annualized salary range starts at $45,150. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by May 1, 2018 11:59 PM ET by visiting our online job portal at https://careers.hrw.org/opportunities/show/?jobid=1612. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email email@example.com. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.