The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Manager, Disbursements for the Finance team. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Manager, Disbursements is an integral part of the Finance team’s daily disbursement activities, supporting NED’s international grantmaking program and democracy support activities.
Provide resolution of any payment delivery issues, and support for NED’s response to bank compliance examiners. A direct liaison to the Grants team, the manager is actively engaged in cross-functional working groups and ensures effective communication flow.
- Supervises and mentors the disbursement specialists on daily grantee and vendor electronic payments, to include active problem-solving and resolution of any issues encountered in the payment cycle.
- Validates that incoming disbursement requests are properly authorized and accurately recorded in NED’s financial system, and prepares daily drawdown requests against NED’s federal awards.
- Acts as an approver to release daily disbursements from NED’s banking platforms and applies payment application to related invoices.
- Manages and resolves delivery issues with banking partners and grantmaking staff, while updating and consulting with Finance leadership on challenges and common trends.
- Monitors any necessary traces and recalls placed on delayed payments, and manages necessary reissuances in a timely manner.
- Provides oversight to ensure all payee beneficiary records in NED’s business systems and banking platforms are accurately maintained.
- Produces timely and accurate financial data analysis for management to enable sound decision-making.
- Acts as a point of contact between the Finance and Grantmaking departments, and as a general resource for questions from non-finance personnel with regards to NED Finance policies, procedures, and banking compliance.
- Identifies risk mitigation strategies related to foreign exchange and remittance to non-traditional money service providers.
- Leads continuous process improvement by developing and implementing improvements in policies and procedures related to cash management and disbursement activities.
- Participates on various cross-sectional working groups to provide Finance input on changes in systems, processes and procedures, etc. while ensuring Finance leadership stays informed of any significant issues.
- Supports the Controller with the preparation of required audit schedules, and further assists with related audit inquiries.
- Serves as a mentor to other members of the extended Finance team.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelors’ degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- 7+ years of relevant experience, including 2+ years supervisory experience, preferably in a mission-driven, nonprofit environment.
- Strong understanding of the international banking environment and regulations, to include OFAC compliance.
- Solid technical knowledge in electronic funds transfer management, specifically with complex international wire transfers.
- Demonstrated experience with use of multiple online banking platforms (WUBS Global Pay and WU Edge platforms preferred).
- Working knowledge of internal controls and best practices as applied to the disbursements function.
- Other Qualifications:
- Ability to translate financial and banking terms to effectively communicate with finance and non-finance personnel.
- Proven critical-thinking ability for effective problem solving.
- Ability to manage high workload cycle times successfully.
- Demonstrated use of robust accounting and business software packages related to purchasing/disbursements function. Microsoft NAV Serenic Navigator accounting software is preferred, and experience with grants management systems is a
- Intermediate to advanced level working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and other Office Must have experience managing large data sets (i.e. creating pivot tables, using lookups and advanced formulas).
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Paramount professional integrity, honesty, initiative, confidentiality and dependability.
- Commitment and ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly professional demeanor, with strong interpersonal and customer service skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff.
- Ability to manage high workload cycle times successfully; works effectively under time pressure and meets deadlines.
- Keen attention to details and accuracy in all work products.
- Confidence in addressing policy and procedure compliance questions.
- Capability and willingness to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures.
- Flexibility in approach to work processes and tasks with the ability to adapt to process change quickly.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references. Please, no phone calls. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.