The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 350 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
As towns, cities and countries around the world declare climate emergencies, seas rise, forests burn, glaciers melt, increasing numbers of people take to the streets demanding urgent action and our societies begin to wake up to what the science has been saying for many years, there has never been a more important time to be working on climate change.
Founded in 2014, the mission of KR Foundation is to address the root causes of climate change and environmental degradation. That is why KR Foundation primarily works within two programme areas: Sustainable Finance, to keep fossil fuels in the ground, and Sustainable Behaviour, to mainstream low-impact living.
KR Foundation also supports the clear and concise communication of climate science, with a special focus on new media and digital, and is part of the donor collaborative Partners for a New Economy, to support projects that bring new thinking and approaches to traditional economics.
ECF is currently accepting applications for an experienced communications specialist to work as the regional strategic communications lead for the Nordic countries, within an international network of communications professionals in the field of climate and energy, working alongside the ECF.
Based in a Copenhagen hub hosted by KR Foundation, the role offers a unique opportunity for an individual with a sincere interest in Nordic politics and climate issues to build a talented - KR funded - regional team of strategic communications experts, playing an active role in helping to speed up the low carbon transition in the region as well as across Europe and on a global level.
The successful candidate will deliver strategic advice and communications support to a diverse set of partners from across sectors, in order to enhance the public debate on climate change and its solutions on a broader level. The work will involve maintaining trusted relationships with key journalists and stakeholders in Denmark and across the Nordics.
Working on the nexus between political strategy, digital communications, behavioural research and public mobilization, this is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and highly driven communications professional with the ambition to make a difference and play an active role in speeding up the low carbon transition and helping to avoid the worst impacts of global climate change.
This role would suit someone with a background in communications, public affairs, journalism or campaigning. If you think this sounds like you, please apply!
The Strategic Communications Manager, Nordics, will be responsible for:
▪ Working hand in hand with an international network of communications experts who seek to advance the momentum of the low carbon transition
▪ Building a small team of Nordic communications experts in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland, jointly developing national and regional communications strategies
▪ Establishing and utilizing relationships with a diverse range of partners from business, industry, finance, science and civil society
▪ Working with partners to support strategic communications interventions which aim to boost climate action across traditional and digital media spheres in the Nordics
▪ Developing and maintaining trusted relationships with key journalists and editors across mainstream and specialist media in Denmark and the region
▪ Providing capacity building for partners by ensuring the highest quality and standard in shaping, drafting, pitching and amplifying communications materials
▪ Producing, executing and guiding digital outreach campaigns in collaboration with colleagues and partners, including monitoring impact and outcomes
▪ Following the political and media debates across the Nordics to identify opportunities for engagement and acting as a source of intelligence for colleagues and partners
▪ A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation and a good understanding of communication issues related to climate and energy
▪ 8+ years of professional communications or other relevant experience, with a proven track record of successful strategic communications, media relations and digital campaigns
▪ Solid track record in terms of staff management, team coordination and thought leadership, as well as representation towards partners and stakeholders.
▪ A strong understanding of the processes and dynamics of policy-making in the Nordic countries at both a national and regional level as well as vis-à-vis the EU
▪ Active networks of influential Nordic actors including lawmakers, academics, finance sectors, progressive business and/or civil society leaders
▪ Familiarity with the Nordic media landscape and the value of strategic story placement in an international political context; existing media contacts highly desirable
▪ Fluent at least in Danish and English, with proven skills to produce engaging and impactful communications materials in both languages; other Nordic languages a plus
▪ The ability to communicate effectively with minimal guidance, work as part of a team, foster fruitful relationships and collaborate with stakeholders internally and externally
▪ The disposition to work with colleagues in a high-trust international community of peers with a spirit of generosity and mutual support
▪ The versatile and adaptable skills to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work across phone/video conferencing, platforms and time zones
▪ A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change
▪ The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
▪ A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
▪ A full-time position with a renewable consultancy contract for 12 months, with a strong possibility for extension after the initial contract period.
Copenhagen, Denmark (flexible mix of home office and co-working in shared office space with project partners)
We are unable to provide sponsorship for work visas.
As soon as possible
Please upload here below in English:
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national…