Educational Alliance, a 128 year old New York institution, is a vibrant, dynamic organization serving New Yorkers from all walks of life. We serve everyone regardless of the language they speak, where they come from, or their socioeconomic status. We believe that everyone should have a chance to live a better life and that arts and culture, education, health and wellness, and social services can help lay that foundation.
UPK at MCC is an inspired, responsive and progressive Pre-K program built on a few simple principles: All children are competent, capable and curious. All families have something to contribute. We are stronger together. Our teachers create safe, joyful and nurturing learning environments that foster inquiry, exploration and reflection, and work collaboratively with children to co-construct a curriculum that draws inspiration from children’s interests and the world around us. Families are our partners, joining together with children and teachers to create a seamless connection between home and school.
- Competitive Salary
- Free Gym Membership to our Manny Cantor Center Gym
- Discounts to programs at Educational Alliance
Our Support Coordinator advocates for children and ensures the proper and holistic implementation of services for children with special needs including coordinating outside services, making referrals and providing support to classroom teachers and families.
SCOPE OF INFLUENCE
• Facilitate, coordinate and schedule outside service providers to meet the needs of children and families
• Provide coaching, mentorship and ongoing support to teachers and families
• Connect children, families and teachers to resources within Educational Alliance and in the wider community
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Planning, Preparation + Delivery of Services
- Conduct developmental observations of children for whom concerns have been raised.
- Follow up with teachers, administrators and families to provide coaching, mentorship and interim strategies
- Conduct classroom observations and provide feedback, modeling and support to teachers as necessary.
- Develop and maintain tracking system to monitor all children receiving support services, or who are in the process of receiving services.
- Assist in the completion of documentation necessary for the referral process
- Obtain all relevant paperwork including IFSP/IEP reports
- Establish and maintain relationships with outside service providers. Maintain credential files and manage onsite schedules
- Coordinate and implement parent education and professional development workshops pertaining to children who need additional support
- Communicate and collaborate with colleagues in social services and mental health across Educational Alliance to meet the needs of children and families
Interactions with Clients
- Consult with parents about the referral process and the progression of services for their child/children on a regular basis.
- Attend parent/teacher conferences and IEP meetings as necessary.
- Conduct regular check-ins with families via phone/email
- Conduct intake, reviews and maintain children’s records and update progress notes on a continuous basis.
- Provide information regarding community resources for children, families and staff, including advice on kindergarten placement
- Monitor contact information, scheduling, and ensure children are receiving mandated services.
- Maintain a library of resources for teachers and parents.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree strongly preferred
- At least 5 years’ experience in the field of Early Intervention or special needs.
- Ability to interact with families of diverse religious, cultural and social backgrounds required.
- Bilingual English/Mandarin preferred
- Familiarity with the Lower Manhattan community preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong written & verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to multitask and handle challenging situations in a professional and courteous manner. Excellent computer and follow-up skills are essential for this position.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information and operate in a deadline-driven environment.
- Willingness to work as part of a team.
Role Key Competencies
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Educational Alliance takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Minimum Education Required